Pure Motivation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pure Motivation

To Motivate

Our Brothers and Sisters Only Groups have now been made private. If you wish to join you must click on the usergroup link and apply.
Top posters
zaharah (1191)
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  Vote_lcapA glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  Voting_barA glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  Vote_rcap 
dangata (623)
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  Vote_lcapA glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  Voting_barA glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  Vote_rcap 
sister harb (539)
nazleen (506)
Aisha (368)
EbonyRose (352)
Full of hopes (172)
Mila (144)
Tabu (108)
Abu Zainab (104)

Latest topics
» Pardon and Forgive.
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  EmptySun Nov 11, 2018 6:09 pm by Abu Zainab

» The Similitude Of Good Actions.
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  EmptySat Aug 04, 2018 4:17 am by Abu Zainab

» Tafsir al-Jalalayn.
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  EmptyWed Jul 04, 2018 7:50 am by Abu Zainab

» And To Allah We Shall Return.
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 7:23 pm by Abu Zainab

» Thought Of Ayat 43, Surat Furqan?
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 7:13 pm by Abu Zainab

» Worldly Life: So Insignificant!!
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  EmptyTue May 15, 2018 4:57 am by Abu Zainab

» Ayat 55 of Surat Ta-Ha and Our Creation.
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  EmptyTue May 15, 2018 4:43 am by Abu Zainab

» The Ruh and Allah's Secret Ocean.
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  EmptySun Feb 25, 2018 7:04 am by Abu Zainab

» Amazing Quotes.
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  EmptySat Feb 10, 2018 4:10 am by Abu Zainab

» High Status Of Rasool Allah- Sallallahu alaihi Wasallam.
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  EmptySun Jan 28, 2018 6:19 pm by Abu Zainab

» Be On Your Guard...
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  EmptyMon Jan 15, 2018 7:37 pm by Abu Zainab

» The Sadaqa (Charity) We Give Daily.
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  EmptyTue Jan 09, 2018 1:05 pm by Abu Zainab

» Shortcuts To Paradise/Jannah.
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  EmptyMon Jan 08, 2018 8:29 am by Abu Zainab

» Welcome to the Daily Grind where you can unwind
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  EmptyMon Dec 25, 2017 12:00 pm by sister harb

» Consider Ayat 46 of Surat Kahfi.
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 7:42 pm by Abu Zainab

» Tawheed In Summary.
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  EmptyMon Jun 26, 2017 2:14 pm by Abu Zainab

» Inspiration For Excellent Action.
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  EmptyMon Jun 26, 2017 1:52 pm by Abu Zainab

» Remembering Death.
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 7:37 am by Abu Zainab

»  Just A Minute !!
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  EmptyThu Oct 06, 2016 7:43 pm by Abu Zainab

» His Heart Never Sleeps.
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  EmptySun Sep 04, 2016 6:10 pm by Abu Zainab

» Of Scrupulousness and Little Laughter.
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2016 6:55 pm by Abu Zainab

» Do You Know The Qur'an?
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  EmptyFri Aug 12, 2016 6:10 pm by Abu Zainab

» Signs Of The Sweetness Of Imaan.
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 6:03 pm by Abu Zainab

» Seeking The Beloved.
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 5:48 pm by Abu Zainab

» Mind That Food and Drink.
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  EmptySun Jun 05, 2016 5:18 pm by Abu Zainab

» ALLAH: The Supreme Name.
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  EmptySun Jun 05, 2016 5:02 pm by Abu Zainab

» Tawbah is Obligatory.
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  EmptyThu May 12, 2016 11:42 am by Abu Zainab

» Cookie Pizza
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 10:07 am by sister harb

» Prophethood As A Circle.
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  EmptyMon Mar 21, 2016 11:05 am by Abu Zainab

» Benefit of Turmeric
A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab  EmptyTue Mar 08, 2016 7:22 pm by zaharah

You are not connected. Please login or register

A glimpse at the life of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

dangata

dangata

When this religion was revealed and the Prophet taught it and raised people according to its instructions, it delivered brilliant men and women who illuminated history and were esteemed by Muslims and non-Muslims alike.

This religion produced such people who upheld its exalted standards and applied its edicts all over the world. As such, they came to be beacons of guidance for everyone who followed their example.

Why do we read about the lives of the Companions and the Predecessors?

We owe it to these great individuals to acquaint ourselves with their biographies and relate their incidents for the following purposes:

First: To learn how magnificent this religion is, that it produced such individuals.

Second: To take our predecessors and leaders as role models, for they are beacons that guide us through the utter darkness. We need also to learn that such examples are reproducible, although to a lesser extent, should there exist the proper Islamic environment and upbringing that refine the characters of people, entrenches the correct belief and creed in them, and instils the ethics of the Prophet into their characters.

`Umar as a character:

`Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab was undoubtedly one of the outstandingly ideal characters that have been witnessed by Islamic history, which many people are negligent of.

Recalling the life of such characters reminds all those oblivious people who are infatuated by the stories of famous characters from the east and west, although a closer analysis of many of these characters reveals the opportunism, vice, consumption of intoxicants, adultery and fornication, profound injustice and tyranny that defines their lives. Conversely, the personalities and characters of the prominent pioneers of Islamic history are literally unmatched.

Before becoming a Muslim, `Umar would worship idols, bury his baby daughters alive, treat people unjustly, and commit other foul acts, particularly if it was against Muslims. Sa'eed Ibn Zayd said: "I swear by Allaah that I went through times when 'Umar would shackle both myself and his own sister (who was Sa'eed’s wife) to force us out of Islam, but then he himself became a Muslim."

By the will of Allaah, `Umar transformed from being a disbeliever living a life of pre-Islamic ignorance, into a guided Muslim, and thus his character soared towards excellence. Some of the sayings of the Prophet referring to the life of this man will be mentioned later, which will highlight a number of magnificent aspects of his character.

The story of how he embraced Islam:

The Muslims did not believe that `Umar could ever become a Muslim. Umm ‘Abdullaah bint Abu Huthmah said: “While we were preparing to emigrate to Habashsah (i.e. Ethiopia), `Umar came, and he would inflict great harm upon us Muslims. When he saw us preparing to leave, he came and said to me: 'O Umm ‘Abdullaah! Are you preparing to set off?' I replied: `Yes! I swear by Allaah! We leave and travel in the land of Allaah, as you have afflicted much torture upon us.` He said: `May Allaah be with you in company.` I noticed that his position had softened in this conversation, and perceived that he was saddened by what we were having to endure. I said to my husband, `You should have seen `Umar - how sad he looked and how soft he was in his tone.' My husband replied: `Are you hoping he becomes a Muslim?` I said: `Yes.` He said: `If this man’s donkey were to become a Muslim, perhaps then he would embrace Islam.`” He said this because he had given up all hope of `Umar becoming Muslim due to his harsh and aggressive stance against the Muslims.

However, when Allaah wills guidance for someone, He facilitates the means for his guidance, even if such a person has the hardest heart on earth and is the furthest from Allaah. This is a lesson for all those who call others to Islam to never despair or give up on people, regardless of how harsh they may be. When Allaah wills goodness for someone, He will facilitate for him the means of guidance.

The fact that `Umar embraced Islam represented a great victory for the Muslims.

His embracing of Islam was no secret:

‘Abdullaah Ibn ‘Umar and his father, narrated the story of his father’s Islam saying: “When he embraced Islam, he enquired: `Which person amongst the tribe of Quraysh conveys news the fastest and spreads rumours the most?` He was informed that it was a man named Jameel Ibn Ma’mar Al-Jumahi. He went looking for him, and I followed my father. When he saw him, he asked him: `O Jameel! Do you not know that I have embraced Islam and joined the religion of Muhammad?` Jameel did not even bother asking him to repeat or to confirm what he had just said, but rather, he immediately got up and set off; my father followed him with me behind him. As soon as Jameel reached the area of the Haram (i.e. the Ka’bah) he shouted at the top of his voice: `O Quraysh! Know that `Umar has become a Saabi (a derogatory term used by Quraysh to describe one who had become a Muslim).' ‘Umar shouted from behind: `You lied! I have become a Muslim and testified that none has the right to be worshipped except Allaah and that Muhammad is His Slave and Messenger…`”

He proclaimed it openly due to the might that he had in his heart. This defines his courageous personality.

Returning to the story: “…The Quraysh approached my father, wishing to warn him, so he began fighting them, all, until noon. At that time he was exhausted, so he sat down and said to them: `Do whatever you wish. ` They continued to beat him until an old man from their tribe named ‘Aas Ibn Waa’il came and stopped them.”

It was only after `Umar became Muslim that the Muslims could openly circumambulate the Ka’bah. Indeed Allaah granted the Muslims might through his coming to Islam .

www.islamweb.com

dangata

dangata

His religious knowledge and the Prophet's praise of him:

Allaah, the Magnificent and Glorified, had willed goodness for `Umar and thus rendered him well versed in the religion and enriched him with knowledge. Many scholars have compiled numerous narrations of the Prophet regarding Umar's knowledge and other virtues. Among these narrations, four were reported by Imaam Az-Zuhri :

The first was where the Prophet said: “While I was sleeping, I saw in a dream that a cup full of milk was brought to me, and I drank (from it) until I saw the milk coming out of my nails. Then I gave the remaining milk to `Umar.” The Companions asked: ‘What did you interpret it (i.e., this dream) to mean?’ He replied: “(Religious) knowledge.” [Al-Bukhaari & Muslim]

The second was where the Prophet said: “While I was sleeping, I saw (in a dream) people wearing shirts; some (had shirts) reaching down to their chests, others reaching down to their knees, and others still down to their ankles, each according to the strength of his faith and his knowledge. `Umar was wearing a shirt that was so long that it was dragging (i.e. on the ground).” The people asked: ‘How did you interpret this?’ The Prophet replied: “His commitment to the religion.” [Al-Bukhaari & Muslim]

The third was where the Prophet said: “I saw (in a dream) that I had entered Paradise, and there was (in it) a palace or a house. I asked: 'For whom is this?' They (the angels) replied: 'For a man from the Quraysh.' I was hoping that I was this man, but then it was said to me: 'This is for `Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab'”

The Prophet added: “I wanted to enter (this palace) but I remembered your jealousy, O Abu Hafs!” `Umar cried upon hearing this and exclaimed: ‘How could I be jealous of you, O Allaah's Prophet?’ [Al-Bukhaari & Muslim]

The fourth was where the Prophet said: “In a dream, I saw myself drawing water from a well with a bucket. Abu Bakr came and drew a bucket or two in a weak manner, and Allaah will excuse his weakness. Then `Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab came and the bucket turned into a very large one in his hands. I have never seen such might in a person in doing such strenuous work. He drank until he quenched his thirst and then gave (water) to all the people, who drank to their satisfaction; then, he watered all their camels that had knelt down in that place.” [Al-Bukhaari & Muslim]

The scholars interpreted this dream as follows: “This dream was regarding the durations for which the caliphates of his two companions would last. The era of Abu Bakr was a very short one, as it only lasted for two years, during which he was preoccupied with fighting the tribes that had apostatised, as well as other major battles.

The era of `Umar was a longer one, and Allaah blessed the Muslims with many victories during it, and a vast number of people accepted Islam in that time. He spread justice in the lands he conquered, although the foundation for this was laid by Abu Bakr who had paved the way for `Umar, may Allaah be pleased him.”

There is also the narration where the Prophet said: “Allaah has placed the truth upon `Umar's tongue and heart.” [Ahmad] Allaah did this via the religious knowledge that He taught him. It is through such knowledge that one finds guidance to the truth. Thus, one must pay attention to seeking and acquiring religious knowledge.

It is through the acquisition of knowledge that one is guided as it leads to him shunning sinning, to recognising the truth when he becomes confused, to being saved from prohibited matters, and to being guarded against misconceptions and doubts.

His views coinciding with revelation:

Allaah caused him to utter the truth and placed this truth in his heart. His views coincided with that which was to be revealed from the Quran on more than one occasion.

‘Umar said: "I coincided with (the revelations from) Allaah on three matters. (The first was when) I said: 'O Allaah's Apostle! Would that you take the station of Ibraaheem as a place of prayer.' (The second was when) I also said: 'O Allaah's Apostle! Good and bad people visit you; would that you order the Mothers of the believers (i.e. his wives) to cover themselves with veils.' So the Divine Verses of Al-Hijaab (i.e. veiling of the women) were revealed. (The third was when) I came to know that the Prophet () had rebuked some of his wives, so I entered into their presence and said: 'You should either stop (troubling the Prophet ) or else Allaah will give His Apostle better wives than you.' Thereupon, Allaah revealed the verse (which means): "Perhaps his Lord, if he divorced you [all], would substitute for him wives better than you – submitting [to Allaah]…" [Quran 66: 5]”

His views also coincided with the revelation of his Lord with regards to the issue of how to treat war hostages. Indeed, on that occasion, Allaah inspired him to say what he said, and thus the verses that were later revealed from Allaah were exactly the same as the words of `Umar .

His dignified stature:

`Umar was a very dignified man - a quality that many figures nowadays lack. This is a quality that people who fear others more than Allaah are deprived of, but `Umar was someone whom people would fear and respect greatly.

Once he took permission to enter into the presence of the Prophet while there were some women there, asking questions in loud voices. When these women heard that `Umar was about to enter, they immediately lowered their voices and hid behind a veil, which caused the Prophet to laugh.

When `Umar entered and saw the Prophet laughing, he said: “May Allaah cause you to laugh more and more, and may my father and mother be sacrificed for you. O Prophet of Allaah! What makes you laugh?” He answered: “I am amazed at the women who were just here, who heard your voice and fled.”

`Umar then went over to them and addressed them from behind the veil, saying: “O enemies of yourselves! I swear by Allaah that the Prophet is worthier of being respected and feared than I am.” The Prophet said: “O `Umar! Leave them. I swear by Allaah that if Satan sees you passing through a valley, he will take another route.” [Al-Bukhaari]

His mercy:

When `Umar assumed the caliphate, the good traits that were hitherto hidden into his soul were uncovered. Such traits included compassion, kindness, benevolence and mercy. He was also compassionate at the time of the Prophet but his compassion became more apparent and obvious after he became caliph.

His character was a combination of dignity, mercy, precision in executing Allaah’s laws and soft-heartedness, so much so that he would weep when reciting the Noble Quran and would even fall sick due to his interaction with it.

Having a strong character and being dignified in no way entails being arrogant or hard-hearted. Nor does it mean being harsh or pompous. To have an awe-inspiring character is praiseworthy only if the person can judge the correct time to be strict. History testifies that `Umar was a noble and merciful ruler of the Muslims.

The example of `Umar symbolises the ideal leadership that the Prophet Muhammad bequeathed. It was a remarkable demonstration of how leadership should be; an ideal one which Muslims are eagerly seeking to repeat, especially when compared to their contemporary predicament.

Having known of such an example, the Muslims are eager for a caliphate and leadership like that of `Umar who would set off in order to check on the lives of the ordinary Muslims.

www.islamweb.com

dangata

dangata

His checking on the situation of his people:

Aslam who was the freed slave of 'Umar reported: “I accompanied `Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab to the marketplace. A woman came after him saying, ‘O Commander of the Believers! I am a widow and a mother of small children with no means. I am afraid that they might perish from hunger. I am the daughter of Khuffaaf Ibn Imaa' Al-Ghifaari (a Companion), and my father witnessed the Pledge of Allegiance of Al-Hudaybiyyah with the Prophet .' `Umar stood where he was for a while and then said: “Welcome, O woman of a close relation!” He then went to a camel which was tied nearby, loaded two sacks of foodstuffs on its back, and put between these two some money and clothes; then, he handed the camel’s noseband to the woman and said: 'Take it, and this provision will not finish before Allaah gives you a better supply.' A man said: 'O Commander of the Believers! You have given her too much.' `Umar replied, disapprovingly: “May your mother be bereaved of you! I swear by Allaah that I witnessed her father and brother besieging a fort for a very long period of time before conquering it. Now we are enjoying the spoils of that conquest.'” He never forgot the merits of the virtuous.

‘Umar had a meticulous interest in the affairs of his subjects.

Aslam narrated: "One night, he went to Al-Harrah (a hard grounded area in eastern Madeenah) along with me, and caught sight of a fire that had been kindled there. He said to me: 'I think those people (who kindled the fire) are a caravan that is suffering from the cold of the night.' When he reached that area, he found a woman and her children who were suffering from the pangs of hunger.

"The woman had placed a pot of water on the fire to distract the hunger of the children so that they would sleep. ‘Umar approached them and said: 'As-Salaamu 'Alaykum, O people of the light,' thereby avoiding saying 'people of the fire.' Then he said: 'What is the matter? What is wrong with these children who are making so much noise?' 'They are bitten by hunger,' said the woman. 'What is in this pot?' asked ‘Umar . 'Water, I divert their attention with it by pretending that I am making food for them, so that they may sleep,' said the woman. 'Allaah will judge between us and ‘Umar,' the woman said. 'Umar said to the woman: 'May Allaah have mercy on you! How can ‘Umar be informed about you?' She replied: 'How can he shoulder our responsibility and then be distracted from us?' Upon hearing this, ‘Umar wept and fled.

"Later, he bought a quantity of flour and fats and said to me: 'Lift this flour onto my back.' I said: 'O Commander of the Believers! Let me carry it for you.' ‘Umar replied: 'Will you carry my sins for me on the Day of Resurrection?' ‘Umar carried the flour on his back until he reached the woman, then he began to cook food for her. He kept on puffing into the fire beneath the pot, with the smoke enveloping his beard, until the food was fully cooked. He then put down the pot, took out the food, and served it out on plates. The children ate their fill and began to play and cry with joy. The woman cried: 'May Allaah reward you with a fine reward! You are more worthy of being caliph than ‘Umar.' ‘Umar said to her: 'Say something better than that!' They then left her tent and walked away.

"After a short while he stopped, turned around and fixed his gaze on her tent. I said to him: 'We have matters to attend to', but he said nothing. The children were playing outside the tent and sholtry after that, they went inside, then things became silent, which indicated that they had gone to sleep. Then, `Umar said to me: 'O Aslam! Hunger made them cry and kept them awake, so I did not want to leave until I saw what we just saw.'”

This was how `Umar was with his people and how he would always check on the poor and be merciful with the needy, despite his dignity and religious zeal, and regardless of the fact that many people, including his relatives, would fear him due to his very strong personality.

His martyrdom:

The death of `Umar came as a great shock to the people and represented a huge affliction. `Umar's death marked the start of major trials and tribulations for the Muslims. Once, a man came to him and informed him that he saw a dream which was interpreted to mean that he would one day become caliph and then be martyred. `Umar later said about this dream: “As for the first part, indeed it happened and I ask Allaah to help me fulfil its rights, but I do not know how the second part can materialise when I am staying behind in Madeenah while the Muslims are fighting Jihaad everywhere (else), but perhaps Allaah will facilitate a means for me to attain it…”

`Umar was keen not to allow any disbelievers into the Arabian Peninsula, but he granted few exceptions to some skilled people in order to benefit the Muslims. One such person was a Persian slave named Fayrooz. He was purchased by Mugheerah Ibn Shu'bah who was the Governor of Basra. This Fayrooz was a craftsman, carpenter, ironsmith and painter.

One day, Fayrooz called upon 'Umar and complained that the tax that his master Mugheerah was exacting from him was too high. He wanted the Caliph to reduce this levy. ‘Umar enquired about this and found out that the levy was not excessive, so no reduction was called for, to the anger of Fayrooz. In order to cheer up Fayrooz, ‘Umar said: “I understand you make windmills; make one for me too.” In a sullen mood, Fayrooz said: "Indeed I will make such a mill for you that the whole world will talk about it." As Fayrooz went away, the Caliph told the people around him that the Persian slave had threatened him.

At a later date, and at the time of the Fajr prayer, Fayrooz set off, under the cover of darkness, with his dagger, to the Mosque of the Prophet and hid himself in a corner in one of the recesses of the mosque. When the believers stood for prayer, and after straightening their rows, ‘Umar took up his position as Imaam to lead the prayer. Fayrooz emerged from his place of hiding and rushed at ‘Umar . He struck ‘Umar with six consecutive stabs of his dagger, and ‘Umar fell to the floor, pouring with blood.

Others rushed at Fayrooz, but he had the fury and frenzy of a desperate man about him. He struck right and left, and thirteen Muslims were wounded, some of them fatally, before he could be overpowered. Finally, realising that there was no escape, Fayrooz stabbed himself to death with his own dagger.

The death of `Umar stunned the Companions as they loved him dearly. Ibn Mas’ood said of him: “I loved him so much that if I were to come to know of a dog that he used to love, I would love that dog. I wished that I could be his servant until I died.”

Undoubtedly, `Umar becoming a Muslim brought might to the Muslims, his leadership was an example of mercy, his virtues were plentiful, and what we mentioned here was but a glimpse at his life, in an attempt to fulfil part of his right over us.

www.islamweb.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum