Pure Motivation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pure Motivation

To Motivate

Our Brothers and Sisters Only Groups have now been made private. If you wish to join you must click on the usergroup link and apply.
Top posters
zaharah (1191)
Prophets and their story Vote_lcapProphets and their story Voting_barProphets and their story Vote_rcap 
dangata (623)
Prophets and their story Vote_lcapProphets and their story Voting_barProphets and their story Vote_rcap 
sister harb (539)
nazleen (506)
Aisha (368)
EbonyRose (352)
Full of hopes (172)
Mila (144)
Tabu (108)
Abu Zainab (104)

Latest topics
» Pardon and Forgive.
Prophets and their story EmptySun Nov 11, 2018 6:09 pm by Abu Zainab

» The Similitude Of Good Actions.
Prophets and their story EmptySat Aug 04, 2018 4:17 am by Abu Zainab

» Tafsir al-Jalalayn.
Prophets and their story EmptyWed Jul 04, 2018 7:50 am by Abu Zainab

» And To Allah We Shall Return.
Prophets and their story EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 7:23 pm by Abu Zainab

» Thought Of Ayat 43, Surat Furqan?
Prophets and their story EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 7:13 pm by Abu Zainab

» Worldly Life: So Insignificant!!
Prophets and their story EmptyTue May 15, 2018 4:57 am by Abu Zainab

» Ayat 55 of Surat Ta-Ha and Our Creation.
Prophets and their story EmptyTue May 15, 2018 4:43 am by Abu Zainab

» The Ruh and Allah's Secret Ocean.
Prophets and their story EmptySun Feb 25, 2018 7:04 am by Abu Zainab

» Amazing Quotes.
Prophets and their story EmptySat Feb 10, 2018 4:10 am by Abu Zainab

» High Status Of Rasool Allah- Sallallahu alaihi Wasallam.
Prophets and their story EmptySun Jan 28, 2018 6:19 pm by Abu Zainab

» Be On Your Guard...
Prophets and their story EmptyMon Jan 15, 2018 7:37 pm by Abu Zainab

» The Sadaqa (Charity) We Give Daily.
Prophets and their story EmptyTue Jan 09, 2018 1:05 pm by Abu Zainab

» Shortcuts To Paradise/Jannah.
Prophets and their story EmptyMon Jan 08, 2018 8:29 am by Abu Zainab

» Welcome to the Daily Grind where you can unwind
Prophets and their story EmptyMon Dec 25, 2017 12:00 pm by sister harb

» Consider Ayat 46 of Surat Kahfi.
Prophets and their story EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 7:42 pm by Abu Zainab

» Tawheed In Summary.
Prophets and their story EmptyMon Jun 26, 2017 2:14 pm by Abu Zainab

» Inspiration For Excellent Action.
Prophets and their story EmptyMon Jun 26, 2017 1:52 pm by Abu Zainab

» Remembering Death.
Prophets and their story EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 7:37 am by Abu Zainab

»  Just A Minute !!
Prophets and their story EmptyThu Oct 06, 2016 7:43 pm by Abu Zainab

» His Heart Never Sleeps.
Prophets and their story EmptySun Sep 04, 2016 6:10 pm by Abu Zainab

» Of Scrupulousness and Little Laughter.
Prophets and their story EmptyFri Aug 26, 2016 6:55 pm by Abu Zainab

» Do You Know The Qur'an?
Prophets and their story EmptyFri Aug 12, 2016 6:10 pm by Abu Zainab

» Signs Of The Sweetness Of Imaan.
Prophets and their story EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 6:03 pm by Abu Zainab

» Seeking The Beloved.
Prophets and their story EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 5:48 pm by Abu Zainab

» Mind That Food and Drink.
Prophets and their story EmptySun Jun 05, 2016 5:18 pm by Abu Zainab

» ALLAH: The Supreme Name.
Prophets and their story EmptySun Jun 05, 2016 5:02 pm by Abu Zainab

» Tawbah is Obligatory.
Prophets and their story EmptyThu May 12, 2016 11:42 am by Abu Zainab

» Cookie Pizza
Prophets and their story EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 10:07 am by sister harb

» Prophethood As A Circle.
Prophets and their story EmptyMon Mar 21, 2016 11:05 am by Abu Zainab

» Benefit of Turmeric
Prophets and their story EmptyTue Mar 08, 2016 7:22 pm by zaharah

You are not connected. Please login or register

Prophets and their story

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Prophets and their story Empty Prophets and their story Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:08 am

dangata

dangata

The story of Prophet Ibraaheem -I

Prophet Ibraaheem was born in Iraq. His father, whose name was Aazar, would carve idols from wood and sell them to the idol worshippers. Prophet Ibraaheem led his life in continuous struggle to comprehensively establish Islam. He is mentioned with praiseworthy titles in the Quran which help us to understand his distinguished character.

Prophet Ibraaheem was endowed with knowledge of Allaah from a very young age. He rejected the practice of idol worship and urged his father to worship Allaah, the one and only God. He argued with his father to abandon his idolatry and worship Allaah alone, but the latter became enraged and displayed haughtiness and arrogance. When Ibraaheem further argued with his father that the idols did not have the ability to harm or benefit, his father told his son to leave his house or be stoned to death. Ibraaheem replied with (what means): “…'Peace [i.e., safety] will be upon you. I will ask forgiveness for you of my Lord. Indeed, He is ever gracious to me. And I will leave you…” [Quran: 19:47-48]

Prophet Ibraaheem addressed the issue of worshipping kings and rulers such as Namrooth, king of Ur in Chaldea (Babylon) who alleged being a god. This tyrannous king claimed the ability of giving life and causing death to human beings. Prophet Ibraaheem refuted this allegation by a decisive sentence when he asked the king to cause the sun to rise from the west. The king Namrooth realised his disability to accomplish such a task, and therefore his allegation of being a god was refuted.

He continued his struggle against idolatry and followed every possible way to prove the Tawheed (Oneness of Allaah) by offering evidence and logical arguments. He asked his people (what means): "…'What do you worship?' They said: 'We worship idols [as did our fathers] and remain to them devoted.' He [Ibraaheem] said: 'Do they hear you when you supplicate? Or do they benefit you, or do they harm?'" [Quran: 26:70-73]

He reminded them that there was only One God, the Lord of all creation, who controlled life, death and resurrection. He urged his own father to desist from worshipping idols and said that he had learned from his own experience that Allaah alone was worthy of worship.

He was shown by Allaah the Kingdom of the heavens and the earth, so that he might be convinced of the faith in his Creator; The Quran narrates (what means): "So when the night covered him [with darkness], he [Ibraaheem] saw a star. He said: 'This is my lord.' But when it set, he said: 'Unless my Lord guides me, I will surely be among the people gone astray.' And when he saw the sun rising, he said (what means): "'This is my lord; this is greater.' But when it set, he said, 'O my people! Indeed I am free from what you associate with Allaah. Indeed, I have turned my face [i.e., self] toward He who created the heavens and the earth, and I am not of those who associate others [in worship] with Allaah.'" [Quran: 6:76-79]

The people jeered at him, remonstrated with him, and even stoned him; they tried to frighten him into believing that their idols would destroy him and his God would not be able to save him.

But Ibraaheem responded with (what means): "…'do you argue with me concerning Allaah while He has guided me? And I fear not what you associate with Him [and will not be harmed] unless my Lord should will something'…" [Quran: 6:80-81]

After he had no hope of their response, he crept in stealth to their idols and smashed them all, except for the largest one. When the people knew that Ibraaheem had been the doer, they prepared a huge fire wherein he was thrown. But he emerged safe from the fire by the Grace of Allaah.

After this, Ibraaheem left his people for Palestine, accompanied by his wife, Saarah, and his nephew, Loot, may Allaah exalt their mention. When they passed by the territory of a tyrant king, someone told that tyrant that a stranger had come accompanied by a very charming lady. The king ordered that the lady be brought to him. When the lady (Saarah) was brought to him, he tried to take hold of her but, by a miracle of Allaah, his hand became rigid. He then gave Saarah, may Allaah exalt her mention, a maidservant by the name of Haajar, may Allaah exalt her mention.

As Ibraaheem and Saarah, may Allaah exalt their mention, had reached old age with no children, Saarah, may Allaah exalt her mention, offered her servant Haajar, may Allaah exalt her mention, to her husband as a wife in order that he could have a child from her, as this was the wish of Ibraaheem .

From Haajar, may Allaah exalt her mention, Ibraaheem was given a son named Ismaa'eel, despite being eighty-six years of age. Allaah the Glorious and Mighty then commanded Ibraaheem to take his wife and beloved son to a barren place (Makkah) and to leave them there, alone, where no food, water, or human life was to be seen. The wife, may Allaah exalt her mention, heartily accepted this command, as it was Allaah’s will. It was only occasionally that Ibraaheem did visit his bitterly suffering wife and son. On one such visit, Allaah commanded him to offer his son as a sacrifice, which was the most difficult test for his faith.

The son obeyed his father’s accomplishment of Allaah’s will. Just as Ibraaheem was about to slaughter Ismaa'eel Allaah ransomed him for a ram. Allaah revealed to Ibraaheem that this was a trial for him in which he succeeded.

Ibraaheem and his son, Ismaa'eel, may Allaah exalt their mention, then built the Sacred House of Allaah, the Ka’bah, in Makkah (see Quran: 14:35–41]). Prophet Ibraaheem established the rites of Hajj as enjoined by Allaah (see [Quran: 22:26-30]). He taught people Tawheed (see [Quran: 60:4]), Allaah’s Attributes (see [Quran 26:77-84]), belief in the Day of Resurrection (see [Quran 2:260])…. etc.

As a concluding statement, it is worth noting that this story of Ibraaheem teaches us, among many other things, that it is the relationship between a Muslim and his Lord and brother Muslims that should be given precedence over blood relationships.

[To be continued…]

Author: Sheikh Muhammad Gemeiah

Sources:

1- Al-Azhar Magazine

2- http://www.islamia.com/Prophets/abraham.htm

2Prophets and their story Empty Re: Prophets and their story Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:09 am

dangata

dangata

Ibraaheem Smashes the Idols

When Ibraaheem recognised that his father and people would not give up worshipping their idols, he left his father’s house and abandoned his people and what they worshiped. He decided to do something about their state of disbelief, but did not reveal it.

He knew that there was to be a great celebration on the far bank of the river which would be attended by all the people. Ibraaheem waited until the city was empty, and then came out cautiously, directing his steps towards the temple. The streets leading to it were empty and the temple itself was deserted, for the priests had also gone to the festival outside the city.

Ibraaheem went there carrying a sharp axe. He looked at the stone and wooden statues of the gods and at the food laid in front of them as offerings. He approached one of the statues and asked: "The food in front of you is getting cold; why don’t you eat?" The statue was silent and rigid. Ibraaheem asked the other statues around him (what means): "…'Do you not eat?'" [Quran: 37:91]

He was mocking them, for he knew they would not eat. He once again asked (what means): "'What is [wrong] with you that you do not speak?'" [Quran: 37:92]

He then raised his axe and began smashing the false gods worshiped by the people. He destroyed them all, except one, around whose neck he hung the axe. After this, his irritation subsided and he felt at peace. He then left the temple, having fulfilled his vow to show his people a practical proof of their foolishness in worshiping something other than Allaah.

When the people returned, they were shocked to see their gods smashed to pieces, lying scattered all over the temple. They began to guess who had done that to their idols, and Ibraaheem’s name came to their minds.

Allaah the Almighty Says (what means): "They said: 'Who has done this to our gods? Indeed, he is of the wrongdoers.' They said: 'We heard a young man mention them who is called Ibraaheem.' They said: 'Then bring him before the eyes of the people that they may testify.' They said: 'Have you done this to our gods, O Ibraaheem?’ He said: 'Rather, this – the largest of them – did it, so ask them, if they should [be able to] speak.' So they returned to [blaming] themselves and said [to each other]: 'Indeed, you are the wrongdoers.' Then they reversed themselves, [saying to Ibraaheem]: 'You have already known that these do not speak!' He said: 'Then do you worship instead of Allaah that which does not benefit you at all or harm you? Uff [i.e., an exclamation of disgust] to you and to what you worship instead of Allaah. Then will you not use reason?'" [Quran: 21:59-67]

Ibraaheem is flung into a Huge Fire

Furious, they demanded that Ibraaheem be arrested and tried. Ibraaheem did not resist. This was precisely what he had been aiming for, so that he could show them up in public for their foolish beliefs.

At the trial they asked him if he was responsible for breaking the idols. Smiling, he told them to ask the biggest idol, which was still whole, saying that he must be the culprit! They replied that he knew well that the idol could not speak or move, which gave Ibraaheem the opportunity to prove the foolishness of worshiping these lifeless objects.

They then realised the senselessness of their beliefs; however, their arrogance would not allow them to admit their foolishness. All they could do was use their power of authority, as tyrants usually do, to punish Ibraaheem . They kept him in chains and plotted their revenge.

They dug a deep pit, filled it with firewood and ignited it. Then they brought a catapult with which to cast Ibraaheem into the fire. Ibraaheem was put on the catapult, his hands and feet tied. The fire was ready with its flames reaching the sky. The people stood away from the pit because of the great heat. Then the chief priest gave his order to cast Ibraaheem into the fire.

The angel Jibreel then came close to Ibraaheem’s head and asked him: "O Ibraaheem, do you wish for anything?" Ibraaheem replied: "Nothing from you." This was not an arrogant reply, rather, he said this due to knowing with full certainty that Allaah would help him, and that he was therefore seeking only His help.

The catapult was shot, and Ibraaheem was cast into the fire, but his descent into the blaze was as a descent on steps in a cool garden. The flames were still there, but they did not burn, for Allaah the Almighty had issued His command (which means): "…'O fire! Be coolness and safety upon Ibraaheem.'" [Quran: 21:69]

The fire submitted to the will of Allaah, becoming cool and safe for Ibraaheem . It only burned his bonds, and he sat in the midst of the fire as if he were sitting in a garden. He glorified and praised Allaah the Almighty, with a heart that contained only his love for Allaah. There was not any vacant space therein for fear, awe, or worry. It was replete with love.

The crowd, the chiefs, and the priests sat watching the fire from a distance. It was burning their faces and nearly suffocating them. It continued burning for such a long time that the disbelievers thought it would never be extinguished.

When it did burn out, they were greatly amazed to find Ibraaheem emerging from the pit untouched by the fire. Their faces were black from the smoke, but his was radiant with light by the Grace of Allaah. The raging fire had become cool for Ibraaheem and had only charred the ropes which held him. He walked out of the fire as if he were walking out of a garden. Cries of astonishment were heard from the heathens. Allaah Says (what means): "And they intended for him a plan [i.e., harm], but We made them the greatest losers." [Quran: 21:70]

This miracle shamed the tyrants, but it did not cool the flame of anger in their hearts. However, after this event many of the people followed Ibraaheem although some kept their belief a secret for fear of harm or death at the hands of the rulers. Ibraaheem had established a definite reasoning against the idolaters. Nothing was left for him except to reason against the people who proclaimed themselves gods.

Ibraaheem Debates with the Tyrant King

When the king, Namrooth, heard of Ibraaheem’s safe exit from the fire, he was infuriated. He feared that the status of godhead he had proclaimed for himself was now challenged by an ordinary human being. He summoned Ibraaheem to his palace and held a dialogue with him, which Allaah the Almighty recounts with (what means): "Have you not considered the one who argued with Ibraaheem about his Lord [merely] because Allaah had given him kingship? When Ibraaheem said: 'My Lord is the one who gives life and causes death,' he said: 'I give life and cause death.' Ibraaheem said: 'Indeed, Allaah brings up the sun from the east, so bring it up from the west.' So the disbeliever was overwhelmed [by astonishment], and Allaah does not guide the wrongdoing people." [Quran: 2:258]

Ibraaheem’s fame spread throughout the entire kingdom. People talked about how he had been saved from the blazing fire and how he had debated with the king and left him speechless. In the meantime, Ibraaheem continued calling people to believe in Allaah, exerting a great effort to guide his people to the right path.

He tried every means to convince them. However, in spite of his love and care for his people, they felt angry and deserted him. Only one woman and one man of his people shared his belief in Allaah. The woman’s name was Saarah, may Allaah exalt her mention, who was to become his wife, and the man's name was Luut who was to become a prophet.

Ibraaheem Leaves for Palestine, then Egypt

When Ibraaheem realised that no one else was going to believe in his call, he decided to emigrate. He left his people and travelled with his wife and Luut (Lot), may Allaah exalt their mention, to a city called Ur, then to another called Haaraan, and then to Palestine. Allaah Almighty tells us (what means): "So Luut believed him. [Ibraaheem] said: 'Indeed, I will emigrate to [the service of] my Lord. Indeed, He is the Exalted in Might, the Wise.'" [Quran: 29:26]

After Palestine, Ibraaheem travelled to Egypt, calling people to believe in Allaah wherever he would be, judging fairly between people, and guiding them to truth and righteousness.

Ibraaheem’s wife Saarah, may Allaah exalt her mention, was unable to have children. She had been given an Egyptian woman, Haajar, may Allaah exalt her mention, as a servant. Ibraaheem had aged, and his hair had become grey after many years spent calling people to Allaah. Saarah, may Allaah exalt her mention, thought that her husband and her were lonely because she could not have a child. Therefore, she offered him her servant Haajar, may Allaah exalt her mention, in marriage. Haajar, may Allaah exalt her mention, gave birth to her first son Ismaa'eel when Ibraaheem was an old man.

Ibraaheem lived on earth worshiping Allaah and calling people to monotheism, but he was journeying to Allaah, knowing that his days on earth were limited and that they would be followed by death, and finally, Resurrection. The knowledge of life after death filled Ibraaheem with peace, love, and certitude.

Author: Sheikh Muhammad Gemeiah

Sources:

1- Al-Azhar Magazine

2- http://www.islamia.com/Prophets/abraham.htm

3Prophets and their story Empty Re: Prophets and their story Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:09 am

dangata

dangata

The story of Prophet Sulaymaan -I

Sulaymaan was one of the prominent Prophets of Allaah, may Allaah exalt their mention, who are well known in the religions of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. His story, which is an interesting one, is mentioned in the Noble Quran.

Sulaymaan inherited his prophethood and dominion from his father Daawood . This was not a material inheritance, as Prophets do not bequeath their property; rather, it may even be given away to the poor and needy who are not related to them. Prophet Muhammad said: "We (Prophets) do not inherit anything, and whatever we leave is to be used for charity." [Al-Bukhaari]

In the Quran, Allaah Almighty Says (what means): "And We had certainly given to Daawood and Sulaymaan knowledge, and they said: 'Praise [is due] to Allaah, who has favoured us over many of His believing servants.' And Sulaymaan inherited Daawood. He said: 'O People! We have been taught the language of birds, we have been given from all things. Indeed, this is an evident bounty.' And gathered for Sulaymaan were his soldiers of the jinn and men and birds, and they were [marching] in rows." [Quran: 27:15-17]

After his father's death, Sulaymaan became king. He begged Allaah for a kingdom of the stature that none after him would have, and Allaah granted him his wish. Besides wisdom, Allaah had blessed Sulaymaan with many abilities. He could command the winds and understand and talk to birds and animals. Allaah directed him to teach both men and jinn to mine the earth and extract its minerals to make tools and weapons. He also favoured him by giving him a mine of copper, which was a rare metal in that era.

During his time, horses were the common mode of transportation. They were essential for defence, to carry soldiers, and cart provisions and weapons of war. The animals were well cared for and well trained. One day, Sulaymaan was reviewing a parade of his stable. The fitness, beauty and posture of the horses fascinated him so much that he kept on stroking and admiring them while the sun was nearly setting, and the time for the mid-afternoon prayer was passing by. When he realised this, he exclaimed (what means): "… Indeed I gave preference to the love of good [things] over the remembrance of my Lord until it [i.e., the sun] disappeared into the curtain [of darkness]." [Quran: 38:32]

Indeed, this entire story is related in the Quran as follows, the meaning of which is: "And to Daawood We gave Sulaymaan. An excellent servant, indeed he was one who repeatedly turned back [to Allaah]. [Mention] when there were exhibited before him in the afternoon the poised [standing] racehorses. And he said: 'Indeed I gave preference to the love of good [things] over the remembrance of my Lord until it [i.e., the sun] disappeared into the curtain [of darkness].' [He said]: 'Return them to me,' and set about striking [their] legs and necks. And We certainly tried Sulaymaan and placed on his throne a body; then he returned. He said: 'My Lord! Forgive me and grant me a kingdom such as will not belong to anyone after me. Indeed, You are the Bestower.' So We subjected to him the wind blowing by his command, gently, wherever he directed, And [also] the devils [of jinn] – every builder and diver. And others bound together in shackles. [We said]: 'This is Our gift, so grant or withhold without account.' And indeed, for him is nearness to Us and a good place of return." [Quran: 38:30-40]

One day, Sulaymaan gathered his army, which had different battalions of men, jinn, birds, and animals, and marched them to Askalon (in Palestine). While they were passing through a valley, an ant saw the approaching army and cried out to warn the other ants saying (what means): "…Enter your dwellings that you not be crushed by Sulaymaan and his soldiers while they perceive not." [Quran: 27:18] Sulaymaan hearing the cry of the ant, smiled. He was glad that the ant knew him to be a Prophet who would not intentionally harm Allaah's creation. He thanked Allaah for saving the ants' lives.

Allaah the Almighty narrated (what means): "And gathered for Sulaymaan were his soldiers of the jinn and men and birds, and they were [marching] in rows until, when they came upon the valley of the ants, an ant said: 'O ants! Enter your dwellings that you not be crushed by Sulaymaan and his soldiers while they perceive not.' So [Sulaymaan] smiled, amused at her speech, and said: 'My Lord! Enable me to be grateful for Your favour which You have bestowed upon me and upon my parents and do righteousness of which You approve. And admit me by Your mercy into [the ranks of] Your righteous servants'" [Quran: 27:17-19]

In Jerusalem, on a huge rock, Sulaymaan built a beautiful temple to draw the people to worship Allaah. Today, this building is known as the Dome of the Rock. From there, a large band of followers joined Sulaymaan on pilgrimage to the Holy Mosque in Makkah. After they had completed their Hajj, they travelled to Yemen and arrived in the city of Sana'a. Sulaymaan was impressed by the clever method of channelling water all over the cities that the Yemenis deployed. He was keen to build similar water systems in his own country but did not have enough springs.

He set out to find a hoopoe bird, which could detect water under the ground. He sent signals all over for the hoopoe to call on him, but it was nowhere to be found. In anger, he declared that unless the bird had a good reason for its absence, he would punish it severely.

The hoopoe eventually came and explained to Sulaymaan the reason for its delay. "I have discovered something of which you are not aware. I have come from Sheba (Saba') with important news," said the bird. Sulaymaan became curious, and his anger subsided. The bird continued: "Saba' is ruled by a queen who has plenty of everything, including a splendid throne. But in spite of all this wealth, Satan has entered her heart and the hearts of her people. She rules their minds completely. I was shocked to learn that they worship the sun instead of Allaah, the Almighty."

To check the hoopoe's information, Sulaymaan sent a letter to the queen with the bird. He instructed the bird to remain hidden and to observe everything it saw.

The hoopoe dropped the letter in front of the queen and flew away to hide. She excitedly opened and read its content (which means): "Indeed, it is from Sulaymaan, and indeed. It is [i.e., reads]: 'In the Name of Allaah, the Entirely Merciful, the Especially Merciful, Be not haughty with me but come to me in submission [as Muslims].'" [Quran: 27:30-31]

source www.islamweb.com

4Prophets and their story Empty Re: Prophets and their story Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:10 am

dangata

dangata

The Story of Prophet Moosaa –I

The Birth of Moses

The story of Prophet Moosaa is mentioned in many different passages in the Quran, sometimes in detail, and sometimes in brief. Here, we will mention an account of his life taken from the Quran and Sunnah (prophetic tradition)

The Quran states (what means): "Taa, Seen, Meem [three separate Arabic letters]. These are verses of the clear Book. We recite to you the news of Moosaa and Pharaoh in truth for a people who believe. Indeed, Pharaoh exalted himself in the land and made its people into factions, oppressing a sector among them, slaughtering their [newborn] sons and keeping their females alive. Indeed, he was of the corruptors. And We wanted to confer favour upon those who were oppressed in the land and make them leaders and make them inheritors. And establish them in the land, and to show Pharaoh and [his minister] Haamaan and their soldiers through them that which they had feared." [Quran: 28:1-6]

Allaah mentions here the gist of the story, which He later expands upon. He mentioned the details of this story to His Prophet Muhammad in truth, the way it happened; He, the Almighty, Says (what means): “Indeed, Pharaoh exalted himself in the land and made its people into factions…” [Quran: 28:4]

Pharaoh (Pharaoh) rebelled in arrogance and was haughty. He preferred this world to the Hereafter, and disobeyed the Lord. He divided his people into sects. Some of them were made to live the life of subservience and humiliation; they were the people of Israel. They were the best people of their time. Pharaoh exploited them and dealt with them unjustly, forcing them to take up only the lowest of professions. Not only that, he also killed their males while keeping their women alive. The Quran states (what means): “…Slaughtering their [newborn] sons and keeping their females alive. Indeed, he was of the corruptors.” [Quran: 28:4]

The reason behind this evil practice was the belief of the Israelites that there would come a child from the progeny of Ibraaheem (Abraham) who would destroy the kingdom of Pharaoh. It happened when Saarah, may Allaah exalt her mention, the wife of Ibraaheem passed through Egypt, and there the king of Egypt tried to misbehave with her. But Allaah saved her, and gave her the glad tidings that from her progeny would come a boy who would destroy that kingdom. This information was well known among the Israelites. The Coptic people of Egypt talked about it, till it reached Pharaoh through some of his ministers. Pharaoh then commanded the slaying of all the Israelite male children, in fear of this child.

Imaam As-Suddi who was a Muslim scholar, narrated from Ibn 'Abbaas and other Companions that Pharaoh had a dream that a fire came from the direction of Jerusalem and burnt all the Coptic people and their houses, but did not harm the Israelites. He woke up terrified and gathered all his priests, soothsayers, and sorcerers, and asked them for the interpretation of his dream. They said: "There will be born a boy from these people, who will destroy the people of Egypt." So Pharaoh ordered that all newborn boys be killed, while the girls were to be kept alive.

That is why Allaah Says (what means): “And We wanted to confer favour upon those who were oppressed in the land [i.e., the Israelites] and make them leaders and make them inheritors." [Quran: 28:5] They were to take up the charge of the affairs of Egypt. Allaah continues with what means: "And establish them in the land and show Pharaoh and [his minister] Haamaan and their soldiers through them that which they had feared." [Quran: 28: 6]

Allaah promised to grant strength and control to those who were weak and suppressed. This Divine promise was fulfilled, and they became, as Allaah Says in the Quran (what means): "And We caused the people who had been oppressed to inherit the eastern regions of the land and the western ones, which We had blessed. And the good word [i.e., decree] of your Lord was fulfilled for the Children of Israel because of what they had patiently endured…" [Quran: 7:137]

Allaah also Says (what means): "So We removed them from gardens and springs. And treasures and honourable station – Thus. And We caused to inherit it the Children of Israel." [Quran: 26:57-59]

Moosaa survives Pharaoh's decree of death

Pharaoh took every step to make sure that Moosaa would not survive his birth; he even appointed midwives to check routinely upon pregnant women, and know the time of their delivery. No woman therefore gave birth to a baby boy except that the people of Pharaoh would kill it at birth.

Allaah Says (what means): "And when he [i.e., Moosaa] brought them the truth from Us, they said: 'Kill the sons of those who have believed with him and keep their woman alive’…" [Quran: 40:25] That is why Israelites said to Moosaa what means: "…‘We have been harmed before you came to us and after you have come to us.’" [Quran: 7:129]

So the truth is that Pharaoh ordered the killing of boys in the first place to make sure that Moosaa would not live after his birth.

Many exegetes stated that the Coptic population complained to Pharaoh that the Israelites were decreasing in number because of the killing of their boys, so soon both the old and the young might perish. Consequently, they would lose the manpower of the Israelites, and be forced to carry out the work which they did. So Pharaoh found an economically and socially sound solution, and hence decreed a new order: to kill the boys born in one year and then spare the lives of those born during the following year.

It is said that Haaroon (Aaron) was born during the year of pardon when children were not killed, while Moosaa was born in the year in which they were being killed. Moosaa’s mother was very worried from the moment she became pregnant. However, the sign of pregnancy did not show on her. When she gave birth to Moosaa it was inspired to her that she should make a chest (wooden box) and tie it with a long rope, with the other end tied to her house. As her house was on the bank of the Nile, she would place him in the chest letting the rope loose so it could be hidden in the reeds of the Nile.

Allaah Says (what means): "And We inspired to the mother of Moosaa: 'Suckle him; but when you fear for him, cast him into the river and do not fear and do not grieve. Indeed, We will return him to you and will make him [one] of the Messengers.’ And the family of Pharaoh picked him up [out of the river] so that he would become to them an enemy and a [cause of] grief. Indeed, Pharaoh and Haamaan and their soldiers were deliberate sinners. And the wife of Pharaoh said: '[He will be] a comfort of the eye [i.e., pleasure] for me and for you. Do not kill him; perhaps he may benefit us, or we may adopt him as a son.’ And they perceived not [what was to come]." [Quran: 28:7-9]

She was inspired in her heart that there was no cause for fear, even if he disappeared, Allaah would bring him back to her, because He was going to send him as His Prophet and Messenger. He would be a person of honour in this world and in the Hereafter. She used to do what she had been commanded. However, on the day when she let the chest go in the Nile, she forgot to tie it to her house. The chest went on till it passed by Pharaoh’s palace.

The palace servants found the basket with the baby and took it to Pharaoh and his queen. When the queen beheld the lovely infant, Allaah instilled in her a strong love for this baby. Pharaoh’s wife was very different from him. He was a disbeliever; she was a believer. He was cruel; she was merciful. He was a tyrant; she was delicate and kind-hearted. She was sad because she was infertile and had hoped to have a son. Hardly had she held the baby than she kissed him.

Pharaoh was stunned when he saw his wife hugging this baby to her breast. He was much astonished because his wife was weeping with joy, something he had never seen her do before. She requested her husband to allow her to keep the baby, so that he could be a son to him. So, as the Quran states (what means): "And the family of Pharaoh picked him up [out of the river] so that he would become to them an enemy and a [cause of] grief. Indeed, Pharaoh and Haamaan and their soldiers were deliberate sinners.” [Quran: 28:8]

[To be continued…]

5Prophets and their story Empty Re: Prophets and their story Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:10 am

dangata

dangata

His Nursing

The queen summoned a few wet nurses to suckle baby Moosaa (Moses) but he would not take any of their breasts. The queen was distressed and sent for more wet nurses. Moosaa’s sister was also worried, as her baby brother had gone without milk for a long time. Seeing the queen's anxiety, she blurted that she knew just the mother who would suckle the child affectionately. They asked her why she was following the floating chest. She said she did so out of curiosity. Her excuse sounded reasonable, so they believed her. They ordered her to rush and fetch the woman she was talking about. Her mother also was waiting with a heavy heart, worried about the fate of her baby. Just then her daughter rushed in with the good news. Her heart lifted and she lost no time in reaching the palace. Allaah the Almighty mentions this story in the Quran. [Quran: 28:10-13]

As the child was put to her breast, he immediately started suckling. Pharaoh (Pharaoh) was astonished and asked: "Who are you? This child has refused to take any other breast but yours!" Had she told the truth, Pharaoh would have known that the child was an Israelite and would have killed it instantly. However, Allaah gave her inner strength and she replied: "I am a woman of sweet milk and sweet fragrance, and no child refuses me." This answer satisfied Pharaoh. She was appointed as Moosaa’s wet nurse. She continued to breast-feed him for a long time. When he was bigger and was weaned, she was allowed the privilege of visiting him. Moosaa, may Allaah exalt him mention, was raised in the palace as a prince.

Allaah Says (what means): “And when he attained his full strength and was [mentally] mature, We bestowed upon him judgement and knowledge. And thus do We reward the doers of good." [Quran: 28:14]

Allaah had granted Moosaa good health, strength, knowledge, and wisdom. The weak and oppressed turned to him for protection and justice.

One day, in the main city, he saw two men fighting. One was an Israelite, who was being beaten by the other, an Egyptian. On seeing Moosaa the Israelite begged him for help. Moosaa became involved in the dispute and, in a state of anger, struck a heavy blow on the Egyptian, who died on the spot. Upon realising that he had killed a human being, Moosaa’s heart was filled with deep sorrow, and immediately he begged Allaah for forgiveness.

He had not intended to kill the man. He pleaded with Almighty Allaah to forgive him, and he felt a sense of peace filling his whole being. Thereafter Moosaa began to show more patience and sympathy towards people.

Soon after this, as Moosaa was passing through the city, a man approached and alerted him: "O Moosaa! The chiefs have taken counsel against you. You are to be tried and killed. I would advise you to escape." Moosaa left Egypt in a hurry without going to Pharaoh’s palace or changing his clothes. Nor was he prepared for travelling. He did not have a beast of burden upon which to ride, and he was not in a caravan. He travelled on foot in the direction of Madyan, which was the nearest inhabited land between Syria and Egypt. His only companion in this hot desert was Allaah, and his only provision was piety. There was not a single root to pick to lessen his hunger. The hot sand burned the soles of his feet. However, fearing pursuit by Pharaoh’s men, he forced himself to continue on. He travelled for eight nights, hiding during the day. After crossing the main desert, he reached a watering hole outside Madyan where shepherds were watering their flocks.

No sooner had Moosaa reached Madyan than he threw himself under a tree to rest. He suffered from hunger and fatigue. The soles of his feet felt as if they were worn out from hard walking on sand and rocks and from the dust. He did not have any money to buy a new pair of sandals, nor to buy food or drink. Moosaa noticed a band of shepherds watering their sheep. He went to the spring, where he saw two young women preventing their sheep from mixing with the others.

Moosaa sensed that the women were in need of help. Forgetting his thirst, he drew nearer to them and asked if he could help them in any way.

The older sister said: "We are waiting until the shepherds finish watering their sheep, then we will water ours."

Moosaa asked again: "Why are you waiting?"

The younger one said: "We cannot push men."

Moosaa was surprised that women were shepherding, as only men were supposed to do it. It is hard and tiresome work, and one needs to be on the alert. Moosaa asked: "Why are you shepherding?"

The younger sister said: "Our father is an old man; his health is too poor for him to go outdoors for pasturing sheep."

Moosaa said: "I will water the sheep for you."

When he approached the water, he saw that the shepherds had put over the mouth of the spring an immense rock that could only be moved by ten men. Moosaa embraced the rock and lifted it out of the spring's mouth. He was certainly strong. He watered their sheep and put the rock back in its place.

He returned to sit in the shade of the tree. At this moment he realised that he had forgotten to drink. His stomach was sunken because of hunger.

Almighty Allaah describes this event in the verses (which mean): "And when he [i.e., Moosaa] came to the water [i.e., well] of Madyan, he found there a crowd of people watering [their flocks], and he found aside from them two women driving back [their flocks]. He said: ‘What is your circumstance?’ They said: ‘We do not water until the shepherds dispatch [their flocks]; and our father is an old man.’ So he watered [their flocks] for them; then he went back to the shade and said: ‘My Lord! Indeed I am, for whatever good You would send down to me, in need’" [Quran: 28:23-24]

The young ladies returned home earlier than usual, which surprised their father. They related the incident at the well, which was the reason that they were back early. Their father sent one of his daughters to invite the stranger to his home. Bashfully, the woman approached Moosaa : "My father is grateful for what you have done for us. He invites you to our home so that he may thank you personally."

Moosaa welcomed this invitation and accompanied the maiden to her father. He could see that they lived comfortably as a happy and peaceful household. He introduced himself and told the old man about the misfortune that had befallen him and had compelled him to flee from Egypt. The old man comforted him: "Fear not, you have escaped from the wrong-doers."

Moosaa’s gentle behaviour was noticed by the father and his daughters. The man invited him to stay with them. Moosaa felt at home with this happy household, for they were friendly and fearful of Allaah.

One of the daughters suggested to her father that he employ Moosaa as he was strong and trustworthy. They needed someone like him, especially at the water hole, which was visited by ruffians.

The father asked her how she could be sure of his trustworthiness in such a short time. She replied: "When I bade him to follow me to our home, he insisted that I walk behind him so he would not observe my form (to avoid sexual attraction)."

The old man was pleased to hear this. He approached Moosaa and said: "I wish to marry you to one of my daughters on condition that you agree to work for me for a period of eight years."

This offer suited Moosaa very well, for being a stranger in this place, he would soon have to search for shelter and work. Moosaa married the Madyanite's daughter and looked after the old man's animals for ten long years.

Time passed, and he lived in seclusion, far from his family and his people. This period of ten years was of importance in his life. It was a period of major preparation. Certainly Moosaa’s mind was absorbed in the stars every night. He followed the sunrise and the sunset every day. He pondered on the plants and everything else around him. He contemplated water and how the earth is revived by it and flourishes after its death.

Of course, he was also immersed in the Glorious Book of Allaah, open to the insight and heart. He was immersed in the existence of Allaah. All these became latent within him.

One day after the end of this period, a vague homesickness arose in Moosaa’s heart. He wanted to return to Egypt. He was fast and firm in making his decision, telling his wife: "Tomorrow we shall leave for Egypt." His wife said to herself. "There are a thousand dangers in departing that have not yet been revealed." However, she obeyed her husband.

[To be continued…]

6Prophets and their story Empty Re: Prophets and their story Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:10 am

dangata

dangata

Back to Egypt

Moosaa (Moses) left Madyan with his family and travelled through the desert until he reached Mount Sinai. There, he discovered that he had lost his way. He sought Allaah's direction and was shown the right course. At nightfall, they reached Mount Toor. Moosaa noticed a fire in the distance. "I shall fetch a firebrand to warm us," he said to his wife.

As he neared the fire, he heard a sonorous voice calling him, with (what means): "…‘O Moosaa! Indeed I am your Lord’…" [Quran: 20:11-12] Moosaa was bewildered and looked around. He again heard the strange voice, saying (what means): "And what is that in your right hand, O Moosaa?" [Quran: 20:17] Shivering, he answered with (what means): "...‘It is my staff; I lean upon it, and I bring down leaves for my sheep and I have therein other uses." [Quran: 20:18] This question was asked so that Moosaa would focus his attention on the staff and to prepare him for the miracle which was to happen. This was the beginning of Moosaa’s mission as a prophet.

The same voice commanded him with (what means): "Throw it [i.e., the staff] down!..." [Quran: 20:19] He did so, and at once the staff became a wriggling snake. Moosaa turned to run, but the voice again addressed him (what means): "…‘Seize it and fear not; We will return it to its former condition.’" [Quran: 20:19] The snake changed back into his staff. Moosaa’s fear subsided and was replaced by peace, for he realised that he was witnessing the truth.

Next, Allaah commanded him to thrust his hand into his robe at the armpit. When he pulled it out, the hand had a brilliant shine. He, therefore, had two signs from his Lord. Allaah then commanded Moosaa with what means: "Go to Pharaoh [Pharaoh]. Indeed, he has transgressed [i.e., tyrannised]." [Quran: 20:24]

However, Moosaa feared that he would be arrested by Pharaoh, so he turned to Allaah saying: "My Lord! I have killed a man among them and I fear that they will kill me." Allaah assured him of his safety and set his heart at rest.

Almighty Allaah narrated this event in the Quranic verses (which mean): "And has the story of Moosaa reached you? When he saw a fire and said to his family: ‘Stay here; indeed, I have perceived a fire; perhaps I can bring you a torch or find at the fire some guidance.’ And when he came to it, he was called: ‘O Moosaa! Indeed, I am your Lord, so remove your sandals. Indeed, you are in the sacred valley of Tuwa. And I have chosen you, so listen to what is revealed [to you].’” [Quran: 20:9-13] and the verses (which mean): "‘Go to Pharaoh. Indeed he has transgressed [i.e., tyrannised].’ [Moosaa] said: ‘My Lord! Expand [i.e., relax] for me my breast. And ease for me my task. And untie the knot from my tongue. That they may understand my speech. And appoint for me a minister [i.e., assistant] from my family – Haaroon [Aaron], my brother. Increase through him my strength. And let him share my task. That we may exalt You much. Indeed, You are of us ever Seeing.’ [Allaah] said: ‘You have been granted your request, O Moosaa.’” [Quran: 20:24-36]

Moosaa and His Brother Haaroon Debate with Pharaoh

Moosaa and Haaroon, may Allaah exalt their mention, went together to Pharaoh and delivered their message. Moosaa spoke to him about Allaah, His mercy and His Paradise, and about the obligations of monotheism and His worship.

Pharaoh listened to Moosaa’s speech with disdain. He thought that Moosaa was mad because he dared to question his 'supreme' position. Then he raised his hand and asked: "What do you want?"

Moosaa replied: "I want you to send the children of Israel with us."

Pharaoh asked: "Why should I send them, as they are my slaves?"

Moosaa replied: "They are the slaves of Allaah, Lord of the Worlds."

Fir’awm then inquired sarcastically if his name was Moosaa, to which Moosaa answered in the affirmative.

Pharaoh said: "Are you not the Moosaa whom we picked up from the Nile as a helpless baby? Are you not the Moosaa whom we reared in this palace, who ate and drank from our provisions and on whom we showered wealth with charity? Are you not the Moosaa who is a fugitive, the killer of an Egyptian man? It is said that killing is an act of disbelief. Therefore, you were a disbeliever when you killed. You are a fugitive from justice and you come to speak to me! What were you talking about O Moosaa? I forgot."

Moosaa knew that Pharaoh’s mentioning of his past, his upbringing, and his receiving Pharaoh’s charity was Pharaoh’s way of threatening him. Moosaa ignored his sarcasm and explained that he was not a disbeliever when he killed the Egyptian, he only went astray and Allaah, the Almighty, had not yet given him the revelation at that time. He made Pharaoh understand that he fled from Egypt because he was afraid of their revenge upon him, even though the killing was an accident. He informed him that Allaah had granted him forgiveness and made him one of the messengers.

Allaah the Almighty revealed to us part of the dialogue between Moosaa and Pharaoh; He Says (what means):

"[Allaah] Said: ‘Nay! Go both of you with Our signs; indeed, We are with you, listening. Go to Pharaoh and say: ‘We are the messengers of the Lord of the worlds. [Commanded to say]: ‘Send with us the Children of Israel.’’’ [Pharaoh] said: ‘Did we not raise you among us as a child, and you remained among us for years of your life? And then you did your deed which you did [i.e., the crime of killing a man], and you were of the ungrateful.’ [Moosaa] said: ‘I did it, then, while I was of those astray [i.e., ignorant]. So I fled from you when I feared you. Then my Lord granted me judgement [i.e., wisdom and prophethood] and appointed me [as one] of the messengers. And is this a favour of which you remind me – that you have enslaved the Children of Israel?’ Said Pharaoh: ‘And what is the Lord of the worlds?’ [Moosaa] said: ‘The Lord of the heavens and earth, and that between them, if you should be convinced.’ [Pharaoh] said to those around him: ‘Do you not hear?’ [Moosaa] said: ‘Your Lord and the Lord of your first forefathers.’ [Pharaoh] said: ‘Indeed, your ‘messenger’ who has been sent to you is mad.’ [Moosaa] said: ‘Lord of the east and the west and that between them, if you were to reason.’ [Pharaoh] said: ‘If you take a god other than me, I will surely place you among those imprisoned.’ [Moosaa] said: ‘Even if I brought you something [i.e., proof] manifest?’ [Pharaoh] said: Then bring it, if you should be of the truthful.’" [Quran: 26:15-31]

The degree of the conflict expressed in this dialogue reached its apex; thus, the tone of dialogue changed. Moosaa used a convincing intellectual argument against Pharaoh. However, Pharaoh escaped from the circle of dialogue based on logic and began a dialogue of another type, a type which Moosaa could not bear to follow, a dialogue of menace and threat. Pharaoh deliberately adopted the style of the absolute ruler. He asked Moosaa how he dared to worship Allaah! Did he not know that Pharaoh was a god?

After declaring his divinity, Pharaoh asked Moosaa how he dared to worship another god. The punishment for this crime was imprisonment. It was not permitted for anyone to worship anyone other than Pharaoh. Moosaa understood that the intellectual arguments did not succeed. The calm dialogue was converted from sarcasm to mentioning charity, then to scorn, then to the threat of imprisonment.

Allaah Says (what means): "[Moosaa] said: ‘Even if I brought you something [i.e., proof] manifest?’ [Pharaoh] said: ‘Then bring it, if you should be of the truthful.’ So [Moosaa] threw his staff, and suddenly it was a serpent manifest. And he drew out his hand; thereupon it was white for the observers." [Quran: 26:30-33]

Pharaoh’s amazement turned to terror. Fearing that his rule was in danger, he addressed his advisors: "These are two wizards who will strip you of your best traditions and drive you out of the country with their magic. What do you advice?" They counselled Pharaoh to detain Moosaa and his brother, may Allaah exalt their mention, while they summoned the best magicians in the country. Then they too, could show their skills of magic and change sticks into serpents. In this way they sought to reduce the influence of Moosaa’s miracles on the masses.

Pharaoh detained Moosaa and Haaroon, may Allaah exalt their mention. He dispatched couriers all over the land to enlist the best magicians. He offered each successful magician a big reward, including appointment as a royal courtier.

[To be continued…]

7Prophets and their story Empty Re: Prophets and their story Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:11 am

dangata

dangata

The Great Contest

On the customary festival day, which attracted citizens from all over the Egyptian empire, Pharaoh (Pharaoh) arranged for a public contest between Moosaa (Moses) and the magicians. The people came in droves when they heard of the greatest contest ever between Pharaoh’s many magicians, and a single man who 'claimed to be a prophet'.

Everyone was eager and excited to watch this great contest. Before it began, Moosaa arose and addressed the magicians, saying (what means): "‘Woe to you! Do not invent a lie against Allaah or He will exterminate you with a punishment; and he has failed who invents [such falsehood].’” [Quran: 20:61]

Moosaa had spoken sincerely and made the magicians think. But they were overwhelmed by their greed for money and glory. They hoped to impress the people with their magic and to expose Moosaa as a fraud and a cheat.

Moosaa asked the magicians to perform first. They threw their magical objects down on the ground. Their staffs and ropes took the forms of wriggling serpents while the crowd watched in amazement. Pharaoh and his men applauded loudly. Then, Moosaa threw his staff. It began to wriggle and became an enormous serpent. The people stood up, craning their necks for a better view. Pharaoh and his men sat silently as Moosaa's huge serpent swallowed all the snakes, one by one. Moosaa bent to pick it up, and it became a staff in his hand.

The crowd rose like a great wave, shouting and screaming with excitement. A wonder like this had never been seen before! On witnessing the power of Moosaa the magicians prostrated themselves to Allaah, declaring (what means): "…‘We believe in the Lord of Haaroon [Aaron] and Moosaa.’" [Quran: 20:70] Pharaoh was furious and began plotting his next move. He charged that the demonstration had been arranged secretly between Moosaa and the magicians. He demanded that the magicians confess to their scheme, threatening them with death. They refused to denounce Allaah and stuck to their sincerity of their belief. No longer hiding his cruel nature, Pharaoh threatened to cut off their hands and feet and to crucify them on the trunks of palm trees as an example to his subjects.

Almighty Allaah recounts this event in the following verses (which mean):

“He [Pharaoh] said: ‘Have you come to us to drive us out of our land with your magic, O Moosaa? Then we will surely bring you magic like it, so make between us and you an appointment, which we will not fail to keep and neither will you, in a place assigned.’ [Moosaa] said: ‘Your appointment is on the day of the festival, when the people assemble at mid-morning.’ So Pharaoh went away, put together his plan, and then came [to Moosaa]. Moosaa said to them [i.e., the magicians summoned by Pharaoh]: ‘Woe to you! Do not invent a lie against Allaah or He will exterminate you with a punishment; and he has failed who invents [such falsehood].’ So they disputed over their affair among themselves and concealed their private conversation. They said: ‘Indeed, these are two magicians who want to drive you out of your land with their magic and do away with your most exemplary way [i.e., religion or tradition]. So resolve upon your plan and then come [forward] in line. And he has succeeded today who overcomes.’ They said: ‘O Moosaa! Either you throw or we will be the first to throw.’ He said: ‘Rather, you throw.’ And suddenly, their ropes and staffs seemed to him from their magic that they were moving [like snakes]. And he sensed within himself apprehension, did Moosaa. We [i.e., Allaah] said: ‘Fear not! Indeed, it is you who are superior. And throw what is in your right hand; it will swallow up what they have crafted. What they have crafted is but the trick of a magician, and the magician will not succeed wherever he is.’ So the magicians fell down in prostration. They said: ‘We have believed in the Lord of Haaroon and Moosaa.’ [Pharaoh] said: ‘You have believed him [i.e., Moosaa] before I gave you permission. Indeed, he is your leader who has taught you magic. So I will surely cut off your hands and your feet on opposite sides, and I will crucify you on the trunks of palm trees, and you will surely know which of us is more severe in [giving] punishment and more enduring.’ They said: ‘Never will we prefer you over what has come to us of clear proofs and [over] He who created us. So decree whatever you are to decree. You can only decree for this worldly life. Indeed, we have believed in our Lord that He may forgive us our sins and what you compelled us [to do] of magic. And Allaah is better and more enduring.’ Indeed, whoever comes to his Lord as a criminal – indeed, for him is Hell; he will neither die therein nor live. But whoever comes to Him as a believer having done righteous deeds – for those will be the highest degrees [in position]: Gardens of perpetual residence beneath which rivers flow, wherein they abide eternally. And that is the reward of one who purifies himself.” [Quran: 20:57-76]

The magicians represented the elite of the Egyptian society. They were its scholars. They prostrated before righteousness, but the people abandoned them and left them to their fate. The path of righteousness was plain, but in spite of this, the people did nothing but stand by and watch. If every one of the Egyptians had stopped to pick up a piece of brick and had thrown it at Pharaoh, he would have fallen dead and the history of Egypt would have been changed. This obviously did not happen. None of the people moved. Each one stood motionless in his place. The people did nothing but watch, and they paid the price of this inactivity: they were drowned later as the price for the cowardice of one day.

Moosaa and Haaroon, may Allaah exalt their mention, left, and Pharaoh returned to his palace. Pharaoh was completely stupefied when he faced the two miracles. When Moosaa went out of his presence, Pharaoh’s emotions changed from amazement and fear to violent rage. He quarrelled with his ministers and men, reviled them bitterly for no reason, and commanded them to get out of his presence. When he was left alone, he tried to think more calmly. He drank several cups of wine, but his anger did not abate.

Then he summoned all the ministers, leaders, and responsible men for a serious meeting. Pharaoh entered the meeting with a rigid face. It was obvious that he would never surrender easily. He had established a kingdom on the basis of his being a god worshipped by the Egyptian people. Now Moosaa came to destroy what he had built. Moosaa said that there was no Lord other than Allaah in existence. This meant that Pharaoh was a liar.

Pharaoh opened the session by throwing a sudden question at Haamaan, his aide: "Am I a liar, O Haamaan?" Haamaan fell to his knees in amazement and asked: "Who dared to accuse Pharaoh of lying?" Pharaoh said: "Has he (Moosaa) not said that there is a Lord above the heaven?" Haamaan answered: "Moosaa is lying." Turning his face to the other side, Pharaoh asserted impatiently: "I know he is a liar." Then he looked towards Haamaan and cried (what means): "…‘O Haamaan! Construct for me a tower that I might reach the ways – the ways into the heavens – so that I may look at the deity of Moosaa; but indeed, I think he is a liar.’ And thus was made attractive to Pharaoh the evil of his deed, and he was averted from the [right] way. And the plan of Pharaoh was not except in ruin." [Quran: 40:36-37]

Pharaoh issued his royal command to erect a lofty tower to reach the heavens. Pharaoh’s command depended fundamentally upon Egyptian civilisation and its fondness for building what Pharaoh wanted. However, he ignored the rules of engineering. In spite of this, Haamaan assented (hypocritically), knowing that it was impossible to erect such a tower. He said that he would issue a command to build it immediately. "However, your majesty, let me object to Pharaoh for the first time. You will never find anyone in the heavens. There is no god but you."

Pharaoh listened to a settled fact. Then he declared in the famous meeting his historic line (which means): "…‘O eminent ones! I have not known you to have a god other than me’…" [Quran: 28:38]

Pharaoh was absorbed in his new problem. A series of serious meetings began in his palace. He summoned those responsible for the army, the police and, what we call today his director of intelligence. He also summoned the ministers, princes, and priests. He called whoever had a powerful effect on the direction of events.

[To be continued…]

8Prophets and their story Empty Re: Prophets and their story Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:11 am

dangata

dangata

Pharaoh’s Crisis

Pharaoh (Pharaoh) was absorbed in his new problem - the loss of the magic contest with Moosaa (Moses) which led to the submission of the magicians to Moosaa's call. A series of serious meetings began in his palace. He summoned those responsible for the army, the police and, what we call today his director of intelligence. He also summoned the ministers, princes, and priests. He called whoever had a powerful effect on the direction of events.

Pharaoh asked his director of intelligence: "What are the people saying?" He said: "My men have spread among them that Moosaa won the contest because of a plot and that a major magician had joined with him in this plan. The plot had been disclosed, and we believe an unknown authority financed it." Pharaoh asked his director of police: "What about the magicians' corpses?" He said: "My men hung them in public squares and markets to terrify the people. We will spread a rumour that Pharaoh will kill whoever had anything to do with the plot." Then Pharaoh asked the commander of the army: "What does the army say?" He said: "The army hopes that commands will be issued to move in whatever direction Pharaoh desires." Pharaoh said: "The role of the army has not come yet. Its role will come."

Pharaoh fell silent. Haamaan, the Prime Minister, moved and raised his hand to speak. Pharaoh permitted him and Haamaan asked: "Will we leave Moosaa and his people to corrupt the rest of the people on the earth so that they leave your worship?" Pharaoh said: "You read my thoughts, O Haamaan. We will kill their sons, rape their women, and conquer them." He issued commands, and Pharaoh’s men rushed to slay the sons, rape the women, and imprison whoever objected to these acts.

Moosaa stood watching what was happening. He could not interfere, nor did he have the power to forbid these acts. All he could do was to advise his people to be patient. He ordered them to ask Allaah the Almighty for a calamity on the Egyptians. He pointed out to them the model of the Egyptian magicians who endured for Allaah's sake without complaint. He helped them to understand that Pharaoh’s soldiers behaved on earth as if they were its private owners. Pharaoh’s terrorism infused the Children of Israel with a spirit of defeat. They complained to Moosaa saying (what means): "…‘We have been harmed before you came to us and after you have come to us.’ He [Moosaa] said: ‘Perhaps your Lord will destroy your enemy and grant you succession in the land and see how you will do.’" [Quran: 7:129]

Moosaa began to face a difficult situation. He had to confront Pharaoh’s anger and plots, while, at the same time, he had to deal with the mutiny of his people. In the midst of all this, Qaaroon (Korah) moved. Qaaroon was one of Moosaa's people. He was very rich and lived in a magnificent mansion. He wore only the most expensive clothes. Numerous slaves waited on him and he indulged in every known luxury. His enormous wealth made him arrogant. Qaaroon treated the poor with contempt and told them that their poverty was due to their lack of intelligence. He believed that what he owned was due to his cleverness and business acumen.

Moosaa reminded Qaaroon to pay Zakaah (alms) from his wealth, a portion of which was rightfully due to the poor. Alms are compulsory upon all the believers. Qaaroon was annoyed by this advice and told Moosaa that his being wealthy was proof that he was favoured by Allaah, Who approved of his lifestyle and increased his wealth daily. Moosaa argued with him and warned him of the result of his wicked thoughts.

When Qaaroon did calculate the alms due on his wealth, he was shocked at the large amount he had to part with. He not only refused to give alms, but spread a rumour that Moosaa had invented the law of Zakaah for his own gain. He even bribed the people to oppose Moosaa and to spread wicked rumours about him.

Allaah warned Moosaa of the plot of Qaaroon. Moosaa appealed to Allaah to punish him for his stinginess and for defying His laws. Allaah's wrath fell on Qaaroon. The earth opened up and swallowed him, his mansion and all his wealth, as if he had never existed. Almighty Allaah revealed (what means):

"Indeed, Qaaroon was from the people of Moosaa, but he tyrannised them. And We gave him of treasures whose keys would burden a band of strong men; thereupon his people said to him: ‘Do not exult. Indeed Allaah does not like the exultant. But seek, through that which Allaah has given you, the home of the Hereafter; and [yet], do not forget your share of the world. And do good as Allaah has done good to you. And desire not corruption in the land. Indeed, Allaah does not like corrupters.’ He said: ‘I was only given it because of knowledge I have.’ Did he not know that Allaah had destroyed before him of generations those who were greater than him in power and greater in accumulation [of wealth]? But the criminals, about their sins, will not be asked. So he came out before his people in his adornment. Those who desired the worldly life said: ‘Oh, would that we had like what was given to Qaaroon. Indeed, he is one of great fortune.'” [Quran: 28:76-79] “And We caused the earth to swallow him and his home. And there was for him no company to aid him other than Allaah, nor was he of those who [could] defend themselves." [Quran: 28: 81]

When the Egyptians and Children of Israel examined the miracle, the conflict between Moosaa and Pharaoh again reached a crisis because Pharaoh believed that Moosaa was threatening his kingdom.

Pharaoh was afraid that the people would be misled by Moosaa . He suggested to his ministers and notable men that Moosaa be killed. It was on the verge of approval, except for the vote of one of the notable men of the state, whose name is not mentioned in the Quran. The Quran simply states that this man was a believer.

This believer spoke in the assembly where the idea of killing Moosaa had been introduced. He proved that it was not a good idea: "Moosaa did not say more than that Allaah is his Lord. Later, he came with clear evidence that he is a Messenger. There are two possibilities; either Moosaa is righteous or a liar. If he lies, he will be responsible for his lie. If he is righteous and we slay him, where is the guarantee that we will be rescued from the torment of Allaah? Either way, he neither says nor does anything that merits our killing him."

This angered Pharaoh and his counsellors and they threatened to harm the man, but he refused to budge from his stance. Then they tried to woo him back, but he still warned them that they were inviting their doom. This further angered Pharaoh, and he now threatened to kill the man. However, Allaah protected His believer.

Almighty Allaah revealed their dialogue in the following verses (which mean): "And Pharaoh said: ‘Let me kill Moosaa and let him call upon his Lord. Indeed, I fear that he will change your religion or that he will cause corruption [i.e., dissention] in the land.’ But Moosaa said: ‘Indeed I have sought refuge in my Lord and your Lord from every arrogant one who does not believe in the Day of Account.’ And a believing man from the family of Pharaoh who concealed his faith said: ‘Do you kill a man [merely] because he says: ‘My Lord is Allaah’ while he has brought you clear proofs from your Lord? And if he should be lying, then upon him is [the consequence of] his lie; but if he should be truthful, there will strike you some of what he promises you. Indeed, Allaah does not guide one who is a transgressor and a liar. O my people! Sovereignty is yours today, [your being] dominant in the land. But who would protect us from the punishment of Allaah if it came to us?’ Pharaoh said: ‘I do not show you except what I see, and I do not guide you except to the way of right conduct.’ And he who believed said: ‘O my people! Indeed I fear for you [a fate] like the day of the companies – like the custom of the People of Nooh [Noah] and of ‘Aad and Thamood and those after them. And Allaah wants no injustice for [His] servants. And O my people! Indeed I fear for you the Day of Calling – The Day you will turn your backs fleeing; there is not for you from Allaah any protector. And whoever Allaah leaves astray – there is not for him any guide.’” [Quran: 40:26-33]

Moosaa repeated his demand that Pharaoh release the Children of Israel from slavery. In response, Pharaoh called his subjects, including the Children of Israel, to a huge gathering where he reminded them that he was their lord and provided all their needs. He said: "Moosaa has no gold amulets or angels following him; he is just a poor man." Being a people who had been oppressed for a very long time, they lacked vision. Their judgment was limited to what they could see in the material world. They regarded their ruler to be wealthy and able to provide all their worldly needs. In ignorance, they obeyed Pharaoh and ignored Moosaa's call. Allaah commanded Moosaa to warn Pharaoh of a punishment in this world for his faithlessness and his persecution of the Children of Israel.

[To be continued…

9Prophets and their story Empty Re: Prophets and their story Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:11 am

dangata

dangata

The Divine Sign

Allaah commanded Moosaa (Moses) to warn the arrogant Pharaoh (Pharaoh) of a punishment in this world for his faithlessness and his persecution of the Children of Israel. As a portent of the punishment which Allaah would mete out, the Nile did not flood its banks to soak the dry land as it normally did. As a result, crops failed, leading to famine. However, Pharaoh remained arrogant, so Allaah caused a huge flood, which devastated the land.

As often as they were troubled grievously, they appealed to Moosaa with (what means): "…‘O Moosaa! Invoke for us your Lord by what He has promised you. If you [can] remove the punishment from us, we will surely believe you, and we will send with you the Children of Israel.’" [Quran: 7:134]

Moosaa prayed to his Lord and He relieved the suffering caused by the flood. The surging water ceased and withdrew from the land, and it became cultivatable. But when Moosaa bade them to fulfil their promise to release the Children of Israel, they did not respond.

Then Allaah sent swarms of locusts which ate whatever corps they had grown. The people hurried to Moosaa asking him to invoke Allaah to remove this affliction and promising they would send the Children of Israel with him this time. The locusts departed, but they did not fulfil their promise.

Then another sign came, the sign of lice, which spread amongst the Egyptians, carrying diseases. Their refuge to Moosaa and their promise to him, was repeated. His prayer to Allaah was repeated and so, too, their breach of promise, as usual.

A sign of frogs was revealed. The land suddenly filled with frogs. They jumped on the food of the Egyptians, shared their houses, and distressed them greatly. The Egyptians went to Moosaa again, promising him to release the Children of Israel. He prayed to his Lord, and Allaah relieved them of the problem of the frogs, but they again broke their promise.

Then the last sign was revealed, the sign of blood. The Nile water was changed into blood. When Moosaa and his people drank the water, it was, for them, ordinary water. However, if any Egyptian filled his cup with the water, he discovered his cup full of blood. They hurried to Moosaa as usual, but as soon as everything returned to normal, they turned their backs on Allaah.

Almighty Allaah Says in the Quran (what means): “And We certainly seized the people of Pharaoh with years of famine and a deficiency in fruits that perhaps they would be reminded. But when good [i.e., provision] came to them, they said: ‘This is ours [by right].’ And if a bad [condition] struck them, they saw an evil omen in Moosaa and those with him. Unquestionably, their fortune is with Allaah, but most of them do not know. And they said: ‘No matter what sign you bring us with which to bewitch us, we will not be believers in you.’ So We sent upon them the flood and locusts and lice and frogs and blood as distinct signs, but they were arrogant and were a criminal people.” [Quran: 7:130-133]

Almighty Allaah also Says (what means): "But when We removed the punishment from them until a term which they were to reach, then at once they broke their word." [Quran: 7:135]

Pharaoh became ruder and more arrogant. He proclaimed to his people: "Pharaoh is the only god. Has he not the kingdom of Egypt and rivers flowing under it?" He declared that Moosaa was a liar, a magician, and an indigent man who did not wear even one bracelet of gold. Almighty Allaah declares (what means):

"And certainly did We send Moosaa with Our signs to Pharaoh and his establishment, and he said: ‘Indeed, I am the messenger of the Lord of the worlds.’ But when he brought them Our signs, at once they laughed at them. And We showed them not a sign except that it was greater than its sister, and We seized them with affliction that perhaps they might return [to faith]. And they said [to Moosaa]: ‘O magician! Invoke for us your Lord by what He has promised you. Indeed, we will be guided.’ But when We removed from them the affliction, at once they broke their word. And Pharaoh called out among his people; he said: ‘O my people! Does not the kingdom of Egypt belong to me, and these rivers flowing beneath me; then do you not see? Or am I [not] better than this one [i.e., Moosaa] who is insignificant and hardly makes himself clear? Then why have there not been placed upon him bracelets of gold or come to him the angels in conjunction?’ So he bluffed his people, and they obeyed him. Indeed, they were [themselves] a people defiantly disobedient [of Allaah]. And when they angered Us, We took retribution from them and drowned them all. And We made them a precedent and an example for the later people." [Quran: 43:46-56]

It appeared that Pharaoh would never believe in Moosaa's message, nor would he stop the torture of the Children of Israel. Therefore, Moosaa prayed to his Lord, saying (what means):

"…‘Our Lord! Indeed You have given Pharaoh and his establishment splendour and wealth in the worldly life, our Lord, that they may lead [men] astray from Your way. Our Lord! Obliterate their wealth and harden their hearts so that they will not believe until they see the punishment.’ [Allaah] said: ‘Your supplication has been answered. So remain on a right course and follow not the way of those who do not know.’" [Quran: 10:88-89]

[To be continued…]

Source: Sheikh Muhammad Gemeiah's translation of: ‘Stories of the Prophets’, by Imaam Ibn Katheer

10Prophets and their story Empty Re: Prophets and their story Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:12 am

dangata

dangata

The Exodus

Allaah Almighty inspired Moosaa (Moses) to conduct his people from Egypt, but only a few of his people believed in his message. Almighty Allaah revealed in the Quran (what means): "But none believed Moosaa, except [some] offspring [i.e., youths] among his people, for fear of Pharaoh [Pharaoh] and his establishment that they would persecute them. And indeed, Pharaoh was haughty within the land, and indeed, he was of the transgressors. And Moosaa said: ‘O my people! If you have believed in Allaah, then rely upon Him, if you should be Muslims [i.e., submitting to Him].’ So they said: ‘Upon Allaah do we rely. Our Lord! Make us not [objects of] trial for the wrongdoing people. And save us by Your mercy from the disbelieving people.’” [Quran 10:83-86]

Almighty Allaah decided to put an end to Pharaoh’s crimes after He had given him several chances. Allaah commanded Moosaa to depart, and the Children of Israel received reluctant permission from Pharaoh to go out of the city for a feast. They prepared themselves to leave Egypt. This departure became known as the Exodus. They carried with them their jewels and borrowed many jewels from the Egyptians.

In the darkness of night, Moosaa led his people towards the Red Sea, and in the morning, they reached the beach. By then, Pharaoh was aware of their departure, so he mobilised a huge army to pursue them.

The impatient among the Children of Israel soon became agitated and Yoosha' bin Noon (Joshua) exclaimed: "In front of us is this impassable barrier, the sea, and behind us the enemy; surely death cannot be avoided!"

Moosaa replied that he would wait for further guidance from Allaah. These words filled them with some hope, but man is always impatient for results: they were willing to surrender themselves back into slavery. At that moment Allaah revealed to Moosaa (what means): "…‘Strike with your staff the sea’…" [Quran: 26:63] Moosaa did as he was commanded. A fierce wind blew, the sun shone brightly, and in a flash the sea parted, the crests of the waves standing like mountains on each side.

Moosaa led his people across. This miracle proved Moosaa's oft-repeated claim: "Indeed, with me is my Lord." As they looked back, they saw Pharaoh and his army approaching, about to take the very path which had been opened for them. In great fear and panic, they pleaded with Moosaa to ask Allaah to close the sea. However, Allaah commanded Moosaa not to smite the sea with his staff again, for Allaah's decree was already in action.

Pharaoh and his army had seen the miracle, how the sea had parted, but being the pretender that he was, Pharaoh turned to his men and proclaimed: "Look! The sea has opened at my command so that I may follow those rebels and arrest them!" They rushed across the parted waters, and when they were midway, Allaah commanded the sea to return to its former state.

Terror-stricken, Pharaoh, realising his end had come, declared out of fear, what means: "…‘I believe that there is no deity except that whom the Children of Israel believe, and I am of the Muslims.’" [Quran: 10:90] But Allaah did not accept this declaration from the tyrant, and the waters closed over him, drowning him and his entire army.

Almighty Allaah narrates (what means): “And We inspired to Moosaa: ‘Travel by night with My servants; indeed, you will be pursued.’ Then Pharaoh sent among the cities gatherers. [And said]: ‘Indeed, those are but a small band, and indeed they are enraging us, And indeed, we are a cautious society…’ So We removed them from gardens and springs. And treasures and honourable station – Thus. And We caused to inherit it the Children of Israel. So they pursued them at sunrise. And when the two companies saw one another, the companions said: ‘Indeed, we are to be overtaken!’ [Moosaa] said: ‘No! Indeed, with me is my Lord, He will guide me.’ Then We inspired to Moosaa: ‘Strike with your staff the sea,’ and it parted, and each portion was like a great towering mountain. And We advanced thereto the others [i.e., the pursuers]. And We saved Moosaa and those with him, all together. Then We drowned the others. Indeed, in that is a sign, but most of them were not to be believers. And indeed, your Lord – He is the Exalted in Might, the Merciful." [Quran: 26:52-68]

In another chapter of the Noble Quran, Almighty Allaah narrates (what means): “And We took the Children of Israel across the sea, and Pharaoh and his soldiers pursued them in tyranny and enmity, until, when drowning overtook him, he said: ‘I believe that there is no deity except that whom the Children of Israel believe, and I am of the Muslims.’ Now? And you had disobeyed [Him] before and were of the corrupters? So today We will save you in body that you may be to those who succeed you a sign. And indeed, many among the people, of Our signs, are heedless." [Quran: 10:90-92]

The curtain fell on Pharaoh’s tyranny, and the waves threw his corpse up to the western seashore. The Egyptians saw him and knew that their god whom they worshipped and obeyed was a mere slave who could not keep death away from himself.

Source: Sheikh Muhammad Gemeiah's translation of: ‘Stories of the Prophets’, by Imaam Ibn Katheer

11Prophets and their story Empty Re: Prophets and their story Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:12 am

dangata

dangata

The story of Prophet Luut

Prophet Luut left Egypt, accompanied by his uncle Ibraaheem and headed to the city of Sodom in Palestine, which was on the western shore of the Dead Sea.

This city was filled with evil. Its residents waylaid, robbed and killed travellers. Another common evil among them was that their men used to have sex with men instead of women. This unnatural act later became known as sodomy, after the city of Sodom. It was practiced openly and unashamedly.

It was at the height of these crimes and sins that Allaah revealed to Prophet Luut that he should summon the people to give up their indecent behaviour, but their immoral habits were so deeply ingrained that they were deaf to Luut's preaching. Addicted to their unnatural desires, they refused to accept the call to repentance, even when Luut warned them of Allaah's punishment. Instead, they threatened to drive him out of the city if he continued preaching against their evil habits.

Allaah Almighty revealed (what means): "The people of Luut denied the messengers. When their brother Luut said to them: 'Will you not fear Allaah? Indeed, I am to you a trustworthy messenger. So fear Allaah and obey me. And I do not ask you for it any payment. My payment is only from the Lord of the worlds. Do you approach males among the worlds. And leave what your Lord has created for you as mates? But you are a people transgressing.' They said: 'If you do not desist, O Luut, you will surely be of those evicted.' He said: 'Indeed, I am, toward your deed, of those who detest [it]. My Lord! Save me and my family from [the consequence of] what they do.' So We saved him and his family, all. Except an old woman [i.e., the wife of Luut] among those who remained behind." [Quran: 26:160-171]

The sinful actions of Prophet Luut's people saddened his heart. Their abominable reputation spread throughout the land, while he continued to struggle against them. As the years passed, he persisted in his mission, but to no avail. No one responded to his call and believed except for the members of his family; even in his household, not all the members believed: Luut's wife was a disbeliever.

If home is the place of comfort and rest, then Luut found none, for he was tormented both within and outside his home. His life was continuous agony as he suffered greatly, but he remained patient and steadfast as a Messenger to his people. Instead of heeding to him, they belittled his message, and mockingly challenged him, saying (what means): "…'Bring us the punishment of Allaah, if you should be of the truthful!" [Quran: 29:29]

Overwhelmed with despair, Luut prayed to Allaah to grant him victory and to destroy the corrupt. Allaah Almighty, therefore, sent three angels in the guise of young handsome men in answer to his prayer. They reached the walls of the town in the afternoon. The first person who caught sight of them was Luut's daughter while she was filling her jug with water from the river. When she saw them, she was stunned that there could be men of such magnificent beauty on earth.

One of the three men (angels) asked her: "O maiden! Is there a place to rest?"

Remembering the evil character of her people, she replied: "Stay here and do not enter the town until I inform my father and return." Leaving her jug by the river, she swiftly ran home.

"O father!" she cried. "You are wanted by young men at the town gate and I have never before seen the like of their faces!"

Luut felt distressed as he quickly ran to his guests.

They visited him at home as guests. After ushering them in hospitably, he asked them where they came from and where they were going.

They did not reply to his questions. Instead they asked if he could host them. He began talking with them and impressed upon them the repulsive nature of his people. Luut was filled with turmoil; he wanted to convince his guests without offending them, not to spend the night there, yet at the same time he wanted to extend to them the expected hospitality normally accorded to guests. In vain, he tried to make them understand the perilous situation. At last, therefore, he requested them to wait until nightfall, for then no one would see them.

When darkness shrouded the town, Luut escorted his guests to his home. No one was aware of their presence. However, as soon as Luut's wife saw them, she slipped out of the house quietly so that no one noticed her. Quickly, she ran to her people with the news and spread it to all the inhabitants like wildfire. The people rushed towards Luut quickly and excitedly.

When Luut saw the mob approaching his house, he shut the door, but they kept on banging on it. He pleaded with them to leave the visitors alone and fear Allaah's punishment. He urged them to seek sexual fulfilment with their wives, for that is what Allaah had made lawful.

Luut's people waited until he had finished his short sermon, and then they roared with laughter. Blinded by lust, they broke down the door. Luut became very angry, but he stood powerless before these violent people. He felt powerless to prevent the abuse of his guests, but he firmly continued to plead with the mob.

At that terrible moment, he wished he had the power to push them away from his guests. Seeing him in a state of helplessness and grief, the guests said to him: "Do not be anxious or frightened, for we are angels, and these people will not harm you."

On hearing this, the mob was terrified and fled from Luut's house, hurling threats at him as they left. The angels warned Prophet Luut to leave his house before sunrise, taking with him all his family, except his wife.

Allaah had decreed that the city of Sodom should perish. An earthquake rocked the town. It was as if a mighty power had lifted the entire city and flung it down in one jolt. A storm of stones then rained on the city. Everyone and everything was destroyed, including Luut's wife.

The Holy Quran recorded this event; it states (what means): "So We saved him and his family, all. Except an old woman [his wife] among those who remained behind. Then We destroyed the others. And We rained upon them a rain [of stones], and evil was the rain of those who were warned. Indeed in that is a sign, but most of them were not to be believers. And indeed, your Lord – He is the Exalted in Might, the Merciful." [Quran: 26:170-175]

Thus, the people of Luut were destroyed and their towns and names have been erased from the face of the earth.

Source: Sheikh Muhammad Gemeiah's translation of 'Stories of the Prophets', by Imaam Ibn Katheer

12Prophets and their story Empty Re: Prophets and their story Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:21 am

dangata

dangata

The story of Prophet Nooh -I

Prophet Nooh (Noah) was one of the prominent Prophets whom Allaah Almighty sent to guide people to His Path - that of Monotheism. Ibn 'Abbaas narrated that Prophet Muhammad said: "The period between Aadam and Nooh was ten centuries." [Al-Bukhaari]

Nooh was therefore born some one thousand years after Aadam's creation, or after he left the Garden of Eden. For many generations, the people of Nooh had been worshipping statues that they called gods. They believed that these gods would bring them good, protect them from evil and provide all their needs. They gave their idols names such as Wadd, Suwaa', Yaghooth, Ya'ooq, and Nasr.

Allaah Almighty revealed in the Noble Quran (what means): "And [the idolaters] said: 'Never leave your gods and never leave Wadd, nor Suwaa' or Yaghooth and Ya'ooq and Nasr [i.e., the names of their idols]." [Quran: 71:23] Originally, these were the names of good people who had lived among them. After their deaths, statues of them were erected to keep their memories alive. After some time, however, people began to worship these statues. Later generations did not even know why they had been erected; they only knew their parents had prayed to them. That is how idol worshipping developed. Since they had no understanding of Allaah Almighty who would punish them for their evil deeds, they became cruel and immoral.

Ibn 'Abbaas explained: "Following the death of those righteous men, Satan inspired their people to erect statues in the places where they used to sit. They did this, but these statues were not worshiped until the coming generations deviated from the right way of life. Then they worshipped them as their idols."

In his description of this story, Imaam Ibn Jareer narrated: "There were righteous people who lived in the period between Aadam and Nooh, may Allaah exalt their mention, and who had followers who held them as models. After their death, their friends who used to emulate them said: 'If we make statues of them, it will be more pleasing to us in our worship and will remind us of them.' So they built statues of them and, after they had died and others came after them, Iblees (Satan) crept into their minds saying: 'Your forefathers used to worship them, and through that worship they got rain.' So they worshipped them."

Imaam Ibn Abu Haatim related the following story: "Wadd was a righteous man who was loved by his people. When he died, they withdrew to his grave in the land of Babylonia and were overwhelmed by sadness. When Iblees saw their sorrow caused by his death, he disguised himself in the form of a man saying: 'I have seen your sorrow because of this man's death; can I make a statue like him which could be put in your meeting place to make you remember him?' They said: 'Yes.' So he made the statue like him. They put it in their meeting place in order to be reminded of him. When Iblees saw their interest in remembering him, he said: 'Can I build a statue of him in the home of each one of you so that he would be in everyone's house and you could thereby remember him?' They agreed. Their children learned about and saw what they were doing. They also learned about their remembrance of him instead of Allaah. So the first to be worshipped instead of Allaah was Wadd, the idol which they named thus."

The essence of this point is that every idol from those earlier mentioned was worshipped by a certain group of people. It was mentioned that people made pictures and, as the ages passed, they made these pictures into statues, so that their forms could be fully recognised; afterwards they were worshipped instead of Allaah.

It was narrated that Umm Salamah and Umm Habeebah who were two of the wives of the Prophet informed him about the church named 'Maria' that they had seen in the land of Abyssinia. They described its beauty and the pictures therein. He said: "Those are the people who build places of worship on the grave of every dead man who was righteous and then make therein those pictures. Those are the worst of creation in the sight of Allaah." [Al-Bukhaari]

Worshipping anything other than Allaah is a tragedy that results not only in the loss of freedom; its serious effect reaches man's mind and destroys it as well. Almighty Allaah created man and his mind with its purpose set on achieving knowledge, the most important of which is that Allaah alone is the Creator and all the rest are worshippers (slaves). Therefore, disbelief in Allaah, or polytheism, results in the loss of freedom, the destruction of the mind, and the absence of a noble target in life. By worshipping anything other than Allaah, man becomes enslaved to Satan, who is himself a creature, and becomes harnessed to his own baser qualities.

Into that environment, Allaah sent Nooh with His message to his people. Nooh was the only intellectual not caught in the whirlpool of man's destruction which was caused by polytheism.

Allaah, out of His Mercy, sent His messenger Nooh to guide his people. Nooh was an excellent speaker and a very patient man. He pointed out to his people the mysteries of life and the wonders of the universe. He pointed out how the night is regularly followed by the day and that the balance between these opposites was designed by Allaah Almighty for our good. The night gives coolness and rest while the day gives warmth and awakens activity. The sun encourages growth, keeping all plants and animals alive, while the moon and stars assist in the reckoning of time, direction and seasons. He pointed out that the ownership of the heavens and the earth belongs only to the Divine Creator.

Therefore, he explained to this people, there cannot have been more than one deity. He clarified to them how the devil had deceived them for so long and that the time had come for this deceit to stop. Nooh spoke to them of Allaah's glorification of man, how He had created him and provided him with sustenance and the blessings of the mind. He told them that idol-worshipping was a suffocating injustice to the mind. He warned them not to worship anyone but Allaah and described the terrible punishment Allaah would mete out if they continued in their evil ways.

The people listened to him in silence. His words were a shock to their stagnating minds as it is a shock to a person who is asleep under a wall which is about to fall and who is vigorously awakened. This person may be alarmed and may even become angry, although the aim was only to save him.

The people of Nooh were divided into two groups after his warning. His words touched the hearts of the weak, the poor, and the miserable, and soothed their wounds with its mercy. As for the rich, the strong, the mighty and the rulers, they looked upon the warning with cold distrust. They believed they would be better off if things stayed as they were. Therefore, they started their war of words against Nooh .

First they accused Nooh of being a mere human, just like themselves, as the verse states (what means): "So the eminent among those who disbelieved from his people said: 'We do not see you but as a man like ourselves'…." [Quran: 11:27]

He, however, had never said anything other than that. He asserted that, indeed, he was only a human being; Allaah had sent a human messenger because the earth was inhabited by humans. If it had been inhabited by angels, Allaah would have sent an angelic messenger.

The contest between the polytheists and Nooh continued. The rulers had thought at first that Nooh's call would soon fade on its own. When they found that his call attracted the poor, the helpless and common labourers, they started to verbally attack and taunt him: 'You are only followed by the poor, the meek and the worthless.'

Allaah the Almighty tells us in the Quran (what means): "And We had certainly sent Nooh to his people, [saying]: 'Indeed, I am to you a clear warner. That you not worship except Allaah. Indeed, I fear for you the punishment of a painful day.' So the eminent among those who disbelieved from his people said: 'We do not see you but as a man like ourselves, and we do not see you followed except by those who are the lowest of us [and] at first suggestion. And we do not see in you over us any merit; rather, we think you are a liar.'" [Quran: 11:25-27]

Thus, the conflict between Nooh and the heads of his people intensified. The disbelievers tried to bargain: "Listen Nooh! If you want us to believe in you, then dismiss your believers. They are meek and poor, while we are elite and rich; no faith can include us both." Nooh listened to the heathens of his community and realised they were obstinate. However, he was gentle in his response. He explained to his people that he could not dismiss the believers as they were not his guests but Allaah's.

Nooh appealed to them saying (what means): "O my people! I ask not of you for it any wealth. My reward is not but from Allaah. And I am not one to drive away those who have believed. Indeed, they will meet their Lord, but I see that you are a people behaving ignorantly. And O my people! Who would protect me from Allaah if I drove them away? Then will you not be reminded? And I do not tell you that I have the depositories [containing the provision] of Allaah or that I know the unseen, nor do I tell you that I am an angel, nor do I say of those upon whom your eyes look down that Allaah will never grant them any good. Allaah is most knowing of what is within their souls. Indeed, I would then be among the wrongdoers [i.e., the unjust].'" [Quran: 11:29-31]

Nooh refuted the arguments of the disbelievers with the noble knowledge of the prophets. It is the logic of intellect that rids itself of personal pride and interests.

13Prophets and their story Empty Re: Prophets and their story Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:22 am

dangata

dangata

The disbelievers remain ignorant

Prophet Nooh (Noah) firmly continued his efforts in calling his people to the way of Allaah Almighty. The rulers were tired of Nooh's arguments. Allaah, the Exalted, related their attitude in the following verses (which mean): "They said: 'O Nooh! You have disputed [i.e., opposed] us and been frequent in dispute of us. So bring us what you threaten us with, if you should be of the truthful.' He said: 'Allaah will only bring it to you if He wills, and you will not cause [Him] failure. And my advice will not benefit you – although I wished to advise you – if Allaah should intend to put you in error. He is your Lord, and to Him you will be returned.'" [Quran: 11:32-34]
The battle continued; the arguments between the disbelievers and Nooh became prolonged. When all the refutations of the disbelievers collapsed and they had no more to say, they began to be offensive and insulted Allaah's prophet as in the verse (which means): "Said the eminent among his people: 'Indeed, we see you in clear error.'" [Quran: 7:60]
Nooh responded in the manner of the prophets; he said (what means): "…'O my people! There is not error in me, but I am a messenger from the Lord of the worlds. I convey to you the messages of my Lord and advise you; and I know from Allaah what you do not know.'" [7: 61-62]
Nooh continued appealing to his people to believe in Allaah hour after hour, day after day and year after year. He admonished his people and called them to Allaah day and night, in secret and openly. He gave them examples, explained Allaah's signs and illustrated Allaah's ability in the formation of His creatures. But whenever he called them to Allaah, they ran away from him. Whenever he urged them to ask Allaah to forgive them, they put their fingers in their ears and became too proud to listen to the truth.
Allaah, the Almighty, relates what Nooh faced, Saying (what means): "Indeed, We sent Nooh to his people, [saying]: 'Warn your people before there comes to them a painful punishment.' He said: 'O my people! Indeed I am to you a clear warner, [Saying]: 'Worship Allaah, fear Him and obey me. He [i.e. Allaah] will forgive you of your sins and delay you for a specified term. Indeed, the time [set by] Allaah, when it comes, will not be delayed, if you only knew.'' He said: 'My Lord! Indeed I invited my people [to truth] night and day. But my invitation increased them not except in flight [i.e. aversion]. And indeed, every time I invited them that You may forgive them, they put their fingers in their ears, covered themselves with their garments [in refusal], persisted, and were arrogant with [great] arrogance. Then I invited them publicly. Then I announced to them and [also] confided to them secretly. And said: 'Ask forgiveness of your Lord. Indeed, He is ever a Perpetual Forgiver. He will send [rain from] the sky upon you in [continuing] showers. And give you increase in wealth and children and provide for you gardens and provide for you rivers. What is [the matter] with you that you do not attribute to Allaah [due] grandeur, while He has created you in stages? Do you not consider how Allaah has created seven heavens in layers, and made the moon therein a [reflected] light and made the sun a burning lamp? And Allaah has caused you to grow from the earth a [progressive] growth. Then He will return you into it and extract you [another] extraction. And Allaah has made for you the earth an expanse. That you may follow therein roads of passage.'' Nooh said: 'My Lord! Indeed they have disobeyed me and followed him whose wealth and children will not increase him except in loss. And they conspired an immense conspiracy, and said: ‘Never leave your gods and never leave Wadd or Suwaa’ or Yaghooth and Ya’ooq and Nasr [i.e., the names of their idols]' And already they have misled many. And, [my Lord], do not increase the wrongdoers except in error.' Because of their sins they were drowned and put into the Fire, and they found not for themselves besides Allaah [any] helpers." [Quran: 71:1-25]
Nooh continued to call his people to believe in Allaah for nine hundred and fifty years. Allaah, the Almighty, Says (what means): "And We certainly sent Nooh to his people, and he remained among them a thousand years minus fifty years…" [Quran: 29:14]
Insistence on disbelief
It happened that every passing generation admonished the succeeding one not to believe Nooh and to wage war against him. The father would teach his child about the matter that was between himself and Nooh and counsel him to reject his call when he reached adulthood. Their inclination rejected believing and following the truth.
Nooh saw that the number of believers was not increasing, while that of the disbelievers was. He was sad for his people, but he never reached the point of despair.
There came a day when Allaah revealed to Nooh that no others would believe. Allaah inspired him not to grieve for them, at which point Nooh prayed that the disbelievers be destroyed, saying (which means): "…'My Lord! Do not leave upon the earth from among the disbelievers an inhabitant. Indeed, if you leave them, they will mislead Your servants and not beget except [every] wicked one and [confirmed] disbeliever.'" [Quran: 71:26-27]
Allaah accepted the prayer of Nooh . The case was closed, and He passed His judgment on the disbelievers in the form of a flood. Allaah the Exalted ordered His worshipper, Nooh to build an ark with His knowledge and instructions and with the help of angels. Almighty Allaah commanded (what means): "And construct the ship under Our Eyes and Our inspiration and do not address Me concerning those who have wronged; indeed, they are [to be] drowned." [Quran: 11:37]

source www.islamweb.com

14Prophets and their story Empty Re: Prophets and their story Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:22 am

dangata

dangata

The story of Haaroot and Maaroot – I

One of the stories in the Quran, is the story of Haaroot and Maaroot. Allaah Says what means: “And they [i.e., the Children of Israel] followed [instead] what the devils had recited during the reign of Sulaymaan (Solomon ). It was not Sulaymaan who disbelieved, but the devils disbelieved, teaching people magic and that which was revealed to the two angels at Babylon, Haaroot and Maaroot. But they [i.e., the two angels] do not teach anyone unless they say: 'We are a trial, so do not disbelieve [by practicing magic].' And [yet] they learn from them that by which they cause separation between a man and his wife. But they do not harm anyone through it except by permission of Allaah. And they [i.e., people] learn what harms them and does not benefit them. But they [i.e., the Children of Israel] certainly knew that whoever purchased it [i.e., magic] would not have in the Hereafter any share. And wretched is that for which they sold themselves, if they only knew.” [Quran 2: 102]

The Children of Israel received a Great Book from Allaah, namely the Quran, which confirmed what they had been told in the Tawraah (i.e. Torah); they were claiming to adhere to their scripture, yet they disbelieved in the Messenger (Muhammad) and a group of them also threw the Scripture of Allaah (i.e., the Tawraah) behind their backs and shunned it, despite them knowing that it was the truth, as Allaah tells us, saying what means: “…A party of those who had been given the Scripture threw the Scripture of Allaah [i.e., the Tawraah] behind their backs as if they did not know [what it contained].” [Quran 2: 101]

It is the way of Allaah that He punishes those who shun that which benefits them; He therefore busies them with things that are of no benefit to them, or makes them indulge in what harms them. Whoever shuns the worship of the Most Merciful will be afflicted with the worship of idols.

Whoever shuns Islamic monotheism will be afflicted with association with Allaah. Whoever shuns the Sunnah will be afflicted with religious innovation. Whoever shuns adhering to the Islamic texts will be afflicted with blind imitation of others who have no evidence to back up their actions.

Whoever shuns hoping in, loving and fearing only Allaah will be afflicted with directing all these acts to other than Him. Whoever refrains from spending his wealth for the sake of Allaah will be afflicted with spending it for the sake of Satan.

Whoever shuns humbling himself to Allaah will be afflicted with being humiliated by other people, and whoever shuns the truth will be afflicted with adhering to falsehood.

This is exactly what happened to the Jews when they shunned the Book of Allaah; they were afflicted with following in the footsteps of Satan. During the reign of Sulaymaan they refused to believe in the Book of Allaah, and were thus afflicted by following what the devils recited and invented.

The devils introduced magic to the people and claimed that Sulaymaan used magic and that it was the means for him to have such great power and a vast empire.

Indeed they lied, because Allaah is the One who granted him enough power and such a vast empire that he had no need to resort to magic, or to seek the help of the devils. As a matter of fact, Allaah facilitated the devils for the disposal of Sulaymaan ; Allaah Says what means: “They made for him what he willed of elevated chambers, statues, bowls like reservoirs, and stationary kettles…” [Quran 34: 13]

Allaah utilised them for Sulaymaan to use, and so they were under his command, but after the death of Sulaymaan the devils came out to the people claiming that the reason behind his control over them was the magic he used and practiced, but Allaah exposes their lie saying what means: “And they [i.e., the Children of Israel] followed [instead] what the devils had recited during the reign of Sulaymaan. It was not Sulaymaan who disbelieved …” [Quran 2: 102]

Whoever practices or uses magic is a disbeliever, but Sulaymaan never disbelieved and never practiced magic; indeed Allaah confirms the very opposite, saying what means: “…It was not Sulaymaan who disbelieved, but the devils disbelieved, teaching people magic…” [Quran 2: 102] They disbelieved by teaching people magic and how to use it, thereby misguiding them.

The Jews practiced the magic that Allaah sent the two angels with, namely Haaroot and Maaroot, as a means of testing people and seeing who amongst His slaves would remain steadfast and who would deviate, or who would remain upon faith and who would disbelieve.

These two angels, Haaroot and Maaroot, were sent to teach people magic in the land of Babylon in Iraq as a test for these people. One may ask: “How can Allaah send these two angels to teach people magic if practicing magic is disbelief?” The answer is that it is done in order to subject people to a trial, as Allaah Says what means: “…But they [i.e., the two angels] do not teach anyone unless they say: 'We are a trial, so do not disbelieve [by practicing magic]…'” [Quran 2: 102]

These angels would initially warn people not to learn this magic, and that to do so would entail disbelief, but if they insisted on learning magic, then they would teach them it; this magic could thereafter be used for prohibited reasons, such as to separate spouses. The Jews practiced the magic that they accused Sulaymaan of using.

The Jews learnt magic and became specialists in it, and to this day the most skilled magicians are the Jews, especially the Moroccan Jews. These Jews shunned the news of the description and imminent arrival of the Prophet Muhammad that was in their scripture; they also shunned the new Book (i.e. the Quran); they eschewed all this and instead resorted to learning and practicing magic.

In this story, Allaah mentions some of the evil consequences of magic, such as what means: “…And [yet] they learn from them that by which they cause separation between a man and his wife…” [Quran 2: 102]

This is while Allaah describes marriage as something that results in harmony when He Says what means: “…He placed between you [i.e., man and his wife] affection and mercy….” [Quran 30: 21]

Magic separates man from his wife, which is proof that it does have an effect, but this effect only occurs by the will of Allaah. Some types of magic make a person love another and act as if he is enslaved to him or her; such a person would feel that he simply cannot live without this person; another type of magic results in the opposite, whereby a person may hate another to the extent that he cannot even look him in the eye; a father can be bewitched in order to make him despise his children or wife, as in the previously mentioned verse of Chapter Al-Baqarah.

Allaah Says what means: “But they [i.e. the Children of Israel] certainly knew that whoever purchased it [i.e. learnt and practiced magic] would not have in the Hereafter any share.” [Quran 2: 102]

The scholars differed in their interpretation of this verse. Some of them stated that Allaah did not send down these angels with magic to teach people, but rather it was the devils who taught people magic. On the other hand, many from the Salaf (predecessors) were of the view that Allaah sent down to the earth these two angels from the heavens as a punishment to them; others said that they were angels who deviated and were an exceptional case from all the other angels, who never disobey Allaah; yet others said that they were honourable angels who were sent down to teach people magic as a way of testing them, but who only taught those who insisted on learning it after having been informed and reminded that magic is a form of disbelief, and after having been sternly warned against learning and practicing it.

Undoubtedly, learning magic is prohibited, and practicing it is disbelief, as indicated in the verse, in addition to many prophetic narrations that affirm this fact.

15Prophets and their story Empty Re: Prophets and their story Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:22 am

dangata

dangata

Magic is a reality and not mere illusion; some people consider tricks of the hand or deceptions of the eye to be magic, but magic is much more than that; it is a reality, and could lead one to hate what he used to love, such as the case which Allaah informs us of in the abovementioned verse where it can separate man from his wife. Indeed the goal that the devil strives hardest to achieve is to separate man from his wife, as in the narration of Jaabir ibn ‘Abdullaah who stated that the Prophet said: “Satan places his throne on the water, then he sends his troops to people; the closest devil in position to him is the one who causes the most mischief and trials amongst people. One of them (i.e., from his troops) comes to him and says: `I continued to whisper to so and so until he committed such and such a sin.` Satan responds: `I swear by Allaah! You have not done much.` (This process continues) until one (devil) comes and says: `I continued to whisper to him until I made him separate from his wife.` Thereupon, Satan brings him close to him and hugs him, saying: `Yes! You are the one.`” [Muslim] Meaning, that he is the one who has achieved the greatest accomplishment. This separation is caused by either magic or by any other means.

Some magicians use magic to bewitch the eyes of people and make them believe that they are seeing something that they are not, as Allaah says regarding the magicians of Pharaoh what means: “…And they presented a great [feat] of magic.” [Quran 7: 116] People thought, as a result of their magic, that they were seeing snakes instead of ropes and sticks.

Some people claim that there is a prophetic narration that is as follows: "Learn magic but do not teach it to others." This is a fabrication; such words were never uttered by the Prophet .

The Islamic ruling regarding the magician is that he is to be beheaded, as the Prophet said: “The punishment for the magician is that he must be beheaded.” [At-Tirmithi & Al-Haakim] This is because such a person is an apostate, even if he fasts, prays and claims that he is a Muslim, because his practice of magic invalidates any good deeds he may perform.

There are two ways of being relieved from the effects of magic:

- The incorrect way is to go to magicians for this purpose; this is prohibited because the Prophet said: “He who approaches a magician and believes what he says will have his prayers rejected for forty days.” [Muslim] Thus, it is prohibited to approach them or to seek their assistance in removing the effect of magic done on one by others.

- The correct way is by reciting the legislated Ruqyah (i.e. the Quran and certain prophetic supplications). Examples of this would be the Chapters Al-Faatihah, Al-Ikhlaas, Al-Falaq, An-Naas and the Verse of the Throne, or Ayat Al-Kursi, which is the two-hundred and fifty fifth verse of Chapter Al-Baqarah. An example of a prophetic supplication that is useful in this regard is: "Allaahumma Rabban-naas, athhibil-ba's, wash'fi, Antash-Shaafi, laa shifaa'a illaa shifaa'uka, shifaa’n laa yughaadiru saqama [O Allaah! The Lord of mankind! Remove this disease and cure (him or her). You are the Great Curer. There is no cure but through You, which leaves behind no disease].'' [Al-Bukhaari]

One may also recite Quranic verses in water and add to it seven dried and crushed Lote-tree leaves. This method is confirmed to have been practiced by some of the Salaf such as Wahb ibn Munabbih .

Some people recite the verses that address the issue of magic, like those found in Chapters Al-A’raaf, Yoonus, and Taa Haa over this water and then add the crushed leaves to it, then they recite Chapters Al-Ikhlaas, Al-Falaq, An-Naas and some authentic Prophetic supplications over it. They then wash their body with this water. This is a method that has been proven to be beneficial by experience.

The Prophet was bewitched by Labeed ibn Al-A’sam, who had strong relations with the Jews, and the Jews requested his assistance due to him being renowned for his experience in magic.

The Prophet was afflicted by this magic for six months. He would think that he was sleeping with his wives while in fact he was not. He persevered through this period, and when he feared that it would affect his zeal for worship, he supplicated to Allaah, asking Him to remove it from him.

'Aa’ishah narrated: “Magic was done on the Prophet so he began to think that he was doing things that he was not actually doing. One day, he invoked (Allaah) for a long period and then said: "I feel that Allaah has inspired me as how to cure myself. Two persons came to me (in a dream) and sat down, one by my head and the other by my feet. One of them asked the other: 'What is the sickness of this man?' The other replied: 'He has been bewitched.' The first asked: 'Who has bewitched him?' The other replied: 'Labeed ibn Al-A'sam.' The first one asked: 'What materials did he use?' The other replied: 'A comb, the hair gathered on it, and the outer skin of the pollen of a male date-palm.' The first asked: 'Where are they?' The other replied: 'In the well of Tharwaan.'"

So the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam headed out towards the well. He later returned and said to me: "The date-palms (i.e., the ones on the well) are like the heads of devils." I asked: 'Did you take out those things with which the magic was done?' He replied: "No, for I have been cured by Allaah, and I am afraid that this action may spread evil amongst the people." Later on the well was filled up with earth." [Al-Bukhaari]

The hair that was on the comb was taken, and a knot was made in which the magic was placed; then, the hair that contained the magic was placed inside the outer skin of the pollen of a male date-palm, and this was placed under a rock, inside the well. When some Companions went to remove this magic from the well, they found that its water was the colour of Henna, due to the effect of magic on it.

The Prophet was inspired by Allaah as to where the location of the magic was; it was removed and the knot was undone, so the magic was ruined.

The question of 'Aa’ishah was an indirect way of asking why the Prophet did not punish the man who bewitched him, and he explained why, saying: “I am afraid that this action may spread evil amongst the people.” Meaning, that since the punishment of being a magician is execution by beheading, and because people did not know that he practiced such evil, nor did they witness him doing it on the Prophet then punishing him would have encouraged people to accuse anyone of doing magic, even if they were innocent, and justify it by quoting this action of the Prophet .

He was very careful not to execute anyone whose crime was not obvious to everybody, and it is for this same reason he refrained from killing Ibn Salool, who was the head of hypocrites, despite him knowing that he was being a disbeliever, a liar and a hypocrite.

He did not kill him because it would not have been clear to people why he killed him, due to this Ibn Salool pretending to be Muslim.

One may ask: “How could the Prophet be bewitched when he was conveying the message?”

The answer is that the magic never affected any aspect of his mind, memory or mission; it only affected his relations with his wives.

Another question that might be asked is: “Does the fact that he was bewitched not contradict being protected by Allaah? Allaah Says what means: “…And Allaah will protect you from the people…” [Quran 5: 67]

The answer is that the protection referred to in this verse was against certain matters only, such as being killed before conveying the message fully, or being prevented from conveying the message in any way.

In fact, proof of the fact that such protection was limited is that he was afflicted greatly by the disbelievers: they offended and beat him, and besieged him and his followers. He also suffered hunger and fell into a pit that the disbelievers had dug for him. They did all these things but were unable to prevent him from conveying the message of Allaah.

Some magic is performed by blowing into knots and other materials which magicians compile, which makes the bewitched person believe he is performing actions that is not actually doing; another type makes a person incapable of having sexual intercourse with his wife; another type makes the wife imagine that her husband is a beast or a snake whenever he tries to approach her sexually; there is another type that makes the husband imagine that his wife has a foul stench whenever he attempts to approach her sexually, even though she may be clean and smell pleasant.

There are women who resort to magic in order to make their husbands divorce his other wife or wives, so that she can have him all to herself - and this is one of the greatest ways of oppressing others.

One may ask: “There are deadly types of magic; are they incurable?”

The answer is that they are curable, unless the effects of this magic coincide with the designated time of the person’s death. If that is the case, then nothing can help him. Allaah Says what means: "But never will Allaah delay a soul when its time has come. And Allaah is Acquainted with what you do.” [Quran 63: 11]

The one who bewitches others and thereby causes their death must be sentenced to death, because such a person killed a soul intentionally and without due right.

Some people wear amulets, claiming that they protect them from magic, but they only add to the evil and make them weaker in faith.

In Islam, ends do not justify means; there are people who resort to magic in order to reconcile, for example, between two disputing people. This is prohibited, even if people claim that they have good intentions and are only using it for a good purpose. This is refused in Islam because the means used are evil, and regardless of the sought result, using magic remains prohibited.

16Prophets and their story Empty Re: Prophets and their story Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:23 am

dangata

dangata

The story of Prophet Saalih – I

After the destruction of 'Aad, the people of Prophet Houd Thamood, the people of Prophet Saalih succeeded them in power and glory. They, like their predecessors, fell to idol-worshipping. As their material wealth increased so, too, did their evil ways, while their virtue decreased. Like the people of 'Aad, they erected huge buildings on the plains and hewed beautiful homes out of the hills. Tyranny and oppression became prevalent as evil men ruled the land.

Allaah, the Exalted, sent unto them His Prophet Saalih a man from among them. His full name was Saalih Ibn Ubeid Ibn Maseh Ibn Ubeid Ibn Hader Ibn Thamood Ibn Ather Ibn Eram, Ibn Noah (Nooh ). He called his people to worship Allaah alone, and not to associate any partners with Him. While some of them believed him, the majority of them disbelieved and harmed him by both words and deeds. Allaah Said in the Quran (what means): "And to Thamood [We sent] their brother Saalih. He said, 'O my people, worship Allaah; you have no deity other than Him...'" [Quran 11:61]
Prophet Saalih was known for his wisdom, purity and goodness and had been greatly respected by his people before Allaah's revelation came to him. Almighty Allaah mentions what his people said to him in the Quranic verses (which mean): "O Saalih, you were among us a man of promise before this. Do you forbid us to worship what our fathers worshipped? And indeed we are, about that to which you invite us, in disquieting doubt." [Quran 11:62]

They merely wanted to worship the same gods as their fathers had, with no reason, no proof, and no thought. The proof of Prophet Saalih's message was evident, but despite this, it was obvious that most of his people did not believe him. They doubted his words, thinking he was charmed, and they saw that he would not stop preaching. Fearing that his followers would increase in number, they tried to put him off by assigning him an important task; to prove that he was a messenger of Allaah by performing a miracle. They asked him to let a unique she-camel emerge from the mountains.

Allaah Almighty granted Prophet Saalih this miracle and a huge, unique she-camel appeared from the direction of the mountain. The Quranic commentators said that the people of Thamood gathered on a certain day at their meeting place, and prophet Saalih came and addressed them to believe in Allaah, reminding them of the favors Allaah had granted them.

Then, pointing at a rock, they demanded: "Ask your Lord to make a she-camel, which must be 10 months pregnant, tall and attractive, issue from the rock for us." Prophet Saalih replied: "Look now! If Allaah sends you what you have requested, just as you have described, will you believe in that which I have come to you with and have faith in the message I have been sent with?" They answered: "Yes." So he took a vow from them on this, and then prayed to Allaah, The Almighty, to grant their request. Allaah ordered the distant rock to split asunder, to bring forth a great ten-month pregnant she-camel. When their eyes set on it, they were amazed. They saw a great thing, a wonderful sight, a dazzling power and clear evidence!

A number of Prophet Saalih's people believed, yet most of them continued in their disbelief, stubbornness, and going astray. Allaah, the Almighty, said in the Noble Quran (what means): "And We gave Thamood the she-camel as a visible sign, but they wronged her." [Quran 17:59] And (what means): "And certainly did the companions of al-Hijr (628) [i.e. the Thamood] deny the messengers." [Quran 15:80-81]

There are a number of accounts by Quranic commentators of this she-camel and its miraculous nature. It was said that the she-camel was miraculous because a rock in the mountain split open and it came forth from it, followed by its young offspring. Other accounts said that the she-camel used to drink all the water in the wells in one day, and no other animals could approach the water. Still others claimed that the she-camel produced milk sufficient for all the people to drink, on the same day that it drank all the water, leaving none for them.

At first, the people of Thamood were greatly surprised when the she-camel emerged from the mountain rocks. It was a blessed beast, and its milk sufficient for thousands of men, women and children. If it slept in a place that place was abandoned by other animals. Thus it was obvious that is was not an ordinary she-camel, but one of Allaah's signs.

Their hatred of Prophet Saalih turned towards the blessed she-camel and became centered on it. A conspiracy started to be hatched against the miraculous beast by the disbelievers, and they secretly plotted against it.
Prophet Saalih feared that they might kill her, so he warned them saying (what means): "And O my people, this is the she-camel of Allaah — [she is] to you a sign. So let her feed upon Allaah’s earth and do not touch her with harm, or you will be taken by an impending punishment.” [Quran 11:64]
For a while, Prophet Saalih's people let the camel graze and drink freely, but in their hearts they hated it. However, the miraculous appearance of the unique she-camel caused many to become his followers, and they clung to their belief in Allaah.

The disbelievers now began complaining that this huge she-camel with its unusual qualities drank most of the water and frightened their cattle.

They laid a plot to kill the beast, and sought the help of their women folk to tempt the men to carry out their commands. A lady named Saduq Bint Mahya, who was from a rich and noble family, offered herself to a young man named Masrai Ibn Mahraj on condition that he hamstrings the she-camel. Aneezah, an old woman, offered one of her daughters to a young man, Qudaar Ibn Saluf, in return for killing the she-camel. Naturally, these young men were tempted and set about finding seven others to assist them.

Source: Sheikh Muhammad Gemeiah's translation of "Stories of the Prophets" by Ibn Kath

17Prophets and their story Empty Re: Prophets and their story Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:23 am

dangata

dangata

After they plotted to kill the she-camel, the disbelievers among the people of Prophet Saalih began to watch her closely, observing all her movements. As she came to drink from the well, Masrai, the man who volunteered to kill her, shot her in the leg with an arrow. She tried to escape but was hampered by the arrow. Qudaar, his aide, followed her and struck her with a sword in the other leg. As she fell to the ground, he pierced her with his sword.

The killers were given a hero's welcome, cheered with songs and poetry composed in their praise. In their arrogance, they mocked Prophet Saalih, but he warned them: "…Enjoy yourselves in your homes for three days. That is a promise not to be denied [i.e. unfailing]." [Quran 11:65]

Prophet Saalih was hoping that they would see the folly of their ways and change their attitude before the three days went out.

"Why three days?" they asked. "Let the punishment come as quickly as possible."

He pleaded them saying (what means): "O my people, why are you impatient for evil before [i.e. instead of] good? Why do you not seek forgiveness of Allaah that you may receive mercy?"[Quran 27:46]

They replied: "We consider you a bad omen, you and those with you…" [Quran 27:47]

Almighty Allaah related their story, Saying (what means): "And We had certainly sent to Thamood their brother Saalih, [saying], “Worship Allaah,” and at once they were two parties conflicting.He said, “O my people, why are you impatient for evil before [i.e. instead of] good? Why do you not seek forgiveness of Allaah that you may receive mercy?” They said, “We consider you a bad omen, you and those with you. He said, “Your omen [i.e. fate] is with Allaah. Rather, you are a people being tested.” And there were in the city nine family heads causing corruption in the land and not amending [its affairs].
They said, “Take a mutual oath by Allaah that we will kill him by night, he and his family. Then we will say to his executor, “We did not witness the destruction of his family, and indeed, we are truthful.” And they planned a plan, and We planned a plan, while they perceived not.
Then look how was the outcome of their plan - that We destroyed them and their people, all. So those are their houses, desolate because of the wrong they had done. Indeed in that is a sign for people who know.
And We saved those who believed and used to fear Allaah." [Quran 27:45-53]

They also plotted to kill Prophet Saalih and his household, as Almighty Allaah states (what means): "And they planned a plan, and We planned a plan, while they perceived not."[Quran 27:50] Allaah Almighty saved Prophet Saalih and his followers from their wicked plans. Heavy-hearted, they left the evil doers and moved to another place.

Three days after Prophet Saalih's warning, thunderbolts filled the air, followed by severe earthquakes which destroyed the entire tribe and its homeland. The land was violently shaken, destroying all living creatures in it. There was one terrific cry, which had hardly ended when the disbelievers of Prophet Saalih's people were struck dead, one and all, at the same time. Neither their strong buildings nor their rock-hewn homes could protect them.
Allaah, the Exalted, Says (what means): "And to the Thamood [We sent] their brother Saalih. He said, “O my people, worship Allaah; you have no deity other than Him. There has come to you clear evidence from your Lord. This is the she-camel of Allaah [sent] to you as a sign. So leave her to eat within Allaah’s land and do not touch her with harm, lest there seize you a painful punishment. And remember when He made you successors after the (people of) ‘Aad and settled you in the land, [and] you take for yourselves palaces from its plains and carve from the mountains, homes. Then remember the favors of Allaah and do not commit abuse on the earth, spreading corruption.”
Said the eminent ones who were arrogant among his people to those who were oppressed — to those who believed among them, “Do you [actually] know that Saalih is sent from his Lord?” They said, “Indeed we, in that with which he was sent, are believers.”
Said those who were arrogant, “Indeed we, in that which you have believed, are disbelievers.”
So they hamstrung the she-camel and were insolent toward the command of their Lord and said, “O Saalih, bring us what you promise us, if you should be of the messengers.”
So the earthquake seized them, and they became within their home [corpses] fallen prone.
And he [i.e. Saalih] turned away from them and said, “O my people, I had certainly conveyed to you the message of my Lord and advised you, but you do not like advisors.”[Quran 7:73-79]
All were destroyed before they realized what was happening. As for the people who believed in the message of Prophet Saalih they were saved because they had left the place.

Abdullaah Ibn Umar narrated that while the Prophet Muhammad ( ) was passing by Thamood's houses on his way to the battle of Tabook, he stopped together with his companions . Some of the companions fetched water from the wells from which the people of Thamood used to drink. They prepared their dough (for baking) and filled their water-skins from it (the water from the wells). The Prophet ordered them to empty the water-skins and give the prepared dough to the camels. Then he went away with them until they stopped at the well from which the she-camel (of Prophet Saalih) used to drink. He warned them against entering upon the people who had been punished, "I fear that you may be affected by what afflicted them; so do no enter upon them." [Al-Bukhaari]

Source:Sheikh Muhammad Gemeiah's translation of "Stories of the Prophets" by Ibn Kathee

18Prophets and their story Empty Re: Prophets and their story Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:24 am

dangata

dangata

According to Islam, Allaah created man for a noble purpose: to worship Him and lead a virtuous life based on His teachings and guidance. How would man know his role and the purpose of his existence unless he received clear and practical instructions of what Allaah wants him to do? Here comes the need for prophethood. Thus, Allaah has chosen from every nation at least one Prophet to convey His Message to people.

One might ask, how were the Prophets chosen and who were entitled to this great honor?

Prophethood is Allaah's blessing and favor that He may bestow on whom He wills. However, from surveying the various messengers throughout history, three features of a Prophet may be recognized:

1. He is the best in his community morally and intellectually. This is necessary because a Prophet's life serves as a role model for his followers. His personality should attract people to accept his message rather than drive them away by his imperfect character. After receiving the message, he is infallible. That is, he would not commit any sin. This is not to mean that Prophets did any, as they were of the highest conduct among the people and thus were prepared to receive the message. A Prophet might make some minor mistakes- not out of desire or for personal goals; rather, out of keenness on achieving some benefits in the favor of the message he came to convey. Such minor mistakes were usually corrected by revelation.

2. He is supported by miracles to prove that he is not an imposter. Those miracles are granted by the power and permission of Allaah and are usually in the field in which his people excel and are recognized as superiors.

3. Every Prophet states clearly that what he receives is not from his own, but from Allaah for the well-being of mankind. He also confirms what was revealed before him and what may be revealed after him. A Prophet does this to show that he is simply conveying the message that is entrusted to him by The One True God of all people in all ages. So the message is one in essence and for the same purpose. Therefore, it should not deviate from what was revealed before him or what might come after him.

Prophets are necessary for conveying Allaah's instructions and guidance to mankind. We have no way of knowing why we were created. What will happen to us after death? Is there any life after death? Are we accountable for our actions? These and so many other questions about Allaah, angels, paradise, hell, and more, cannot be answered without direct revelation from the Creator and Knower of the unseen. Those answers must be authentic and must be brought by individuals whom we trust and respect. That is why messengers are the elite of their societies in terms of moral conduct and intellectual ability.

Hence, the slanderous Biblical stories about some of the great Prophets are not accepted by Muslims. For example, Prophet Lot is reported to have committed incestuous fornication while drunk. Prophet Daawood (David) is alleged to have sent one of his leaders to his death in order to marry his wife. Prophets, to Muslims, are greater than what these stories indicate. These stories cannot be true from the Islamic point of view.

The Prophets are also miraculously supported by Allaah and instructed by Him to affirm the continuity of the message. The content of the Prophets' message to mankind can be summarized as follows:

a) Clear concept of Allaah: His attributes, His creation, what should and should not be ascribed to Him.

b) Clear idea about the unseen world, the angels, jinn, Paradise and Hell.

c) Why Allaah has created us, what He wants from us and what rewards and punishments are for obedience and disobedience.

d) How to run our societies according to His will. That is, clear instructions and laws that, when applied correctly and honestly, will result in a smoothly functioning, harmonious society.

Now one might ask: who are the Prophets according to the Islamic Faith? The answer is, many of the same Prophets found in the Old Testament, New Testament, and some Prophets which are mentioned in the Quran that you may not be familiar with.

According to Islam, some Prophets were given the message to deliver to their people (e.g. Prophets Aadam (Adam), Nooh (Noah), Lot and others, may Allaah exalt their mention) and others were given books (e.g. Prophets Ibraaheem (Abraham), Moosaa (Moses), 'Eesaa (Jesus), Muhammad and others, may Allaah exalt their mention.

Prophets in Islam are revered, respected individuals who were chosen by Allaah to bring His Divine Message to their people.

In the case of Prophet Muhammad he was chosen to give his Message to all mankind. Every Prophet came to relay the same message to their people, which was to worship Allaah alone, associating no partners with Him.

Islam is the final message for mankind, complete in every way, as Allaah Says (what means): "This day I have perfected for you your religion and completed My favor upon you and have approved for you Islam as religion." [Quran 5:3]

When Muslims mention the name of any Prophet, out of respect, they supplicate for them asking that Allaah exalt their mention and bestow His Peace and Blessings upon them. Another way in which Muslims show respect for the Prophets and Messengers of Allaah is that they neither draw pictures of them nor approve of actors portraying Prophets in movies. Muslims believe that it is disrespectful to any Prophet of Allaah for an actor to portray them.

The Prophets, may Allaah exalt their mention, who were mentioned in the Quran are (arranged chronologically):

1- Aadam (Adam)

2- Idrees (Enoch)

3- Nooh (Noah)

4- Houd

5- Saalih

6- Ibraaheem (Abraham)

7- Lot

8- Ismaa'eel (Ishmael)

9- Is-haaq (Isaac)

10- Ya'qoob (Jacob)

11- Yoosuf (Joseph)

12- Ayyoob (Job)

13- Thul-Kifl (Ezekiel)

14- Yoous (Jonah)

15- Shu'ayb

16- Moosaa (Moses)

17- Haaroon (Aaron)

18- Daawood (David)

19- Sulaymaan (Solomon)

20- Ilyaas (Elias)

21- Al-Yasa' (Elisha)

22- Zakariyya (Zachariah)

23- Yahyaa (John)

24- 'Eesaa (Jesus)

25- Muhammad (S.A.W) .

source www.islamweb.com

19Prophets and their story Empty Re: Prophets and their story Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:50 pm

dangata

dangata

His Lineage

Imaam Ibn Is-haaq, may Allaah have mercy upon him, stated that Prophet Ayyoob's full name was Ayyoob, Ibn (son of) Mose, Ibn Razeh, Ibn Esau, Ibn Isaac (Is-haaq), Ibn Abraham (Ibraaheem), may Allaah exalt the mention of them all. Others stated that he was Ayyoob, Ibn Mose, Ibn Rimil, Ibn Esau, Ibn Isaac (Is-haaq, Ibn Jacob (Ya'qoob), may Allaah have mercy upon them all. There have also been other statements on his lineage. Imaam Ibn 'Asaakir, may Allaah exalt his mention, narrated that Prophet Ayyoob's mother was a daughter of Lot, may Allaah exalt his mention. It was said also that Prophet Ayyoob's father was one who believed in Ibraaheem, may Allaah exalt his mention, when he was cast into the fire.
The first opinion is the most plausible, because Prophet Ayyoob, may Allaah exalt his mention, was a descendant of Ibraaheem's offspring, as Allaah Almighty declares in the Quran (what means): "And that was Our [conclusive] argument which we gave Ibraaheem against his people. We raise by degrees whom We will. Indeed, your Lord is Wise and Knowing. And We gave to him [i.e., Ibraaheem] Is-haaq [Isaac] and Ya'qoob [Jacob] – all [of them] We guided. And Nooh [Noah], We guided before; and among his descendants, Daawood [David] and Sulaymaan [Solomon] and Ayyoob [Job] and Yoosuf [Joseph] and Moosaa [Moses] and Haaroon [Aaron]. Thus do We reward the doers of good." [Quran 6-84]
Allaah Praises Him
Allaah the Almighty praised His worshipper Ayyoob, may Allaah exalt his mention, in His Glorious Quran, Saying (what means): "…Indeed, We found him patient, an excellent servant. Indeed, he was one who repeatedly turned back [to Allaah]." [Quran 38]
Ayyoob, may Allaah exalt his mention, was repentant, remembering Allaah with thankfulness, patience, and steadfastness. This was the cause of his rescue and the secret of Allaah's praising him.
A group of angels were discussing Allaah's other human creatures, how those who were humble earned Allaah's pleasure, while those who were arrogant incurred His displeasure. One of the angels remarked: "The best creature on earth today is Ayyoob, a man of noble character who displays great patience and always remembers his Generous Lord. He is an excellent model for the worshippers of Allaah. In return, his Lord has blessed him with a long life and plenty of servants, as well as the needy and the poor sharing in his good fortune; he feeds and clothes the poor and buys slaves to set them free. He makes those who receive his charity feel as if they are favouring him, so kind and gentle is he."
Satan's Envy of Him
Iblees (Satan) overhearing all of this, became annoyed. He planned to entice Ayyoob to corruption and disbelief, so he hastened to him. He tried to distract Ayyoob from his prayers by whispering to him about the good things in life, but Ayyoob was a true believer and would not let evil thoughts tempt him. This disturbed Iblees even more; thus he began to hate Ayyoob with even greater fervour.
Iblees complained to Allaah about Ayyoob, may Allaah exalt his mention. He said that although he was continuously glorifying Allaah, he was not doing so out of his sincerity but to satisfy Allaah so that his wealth should not be taken away. It was all a show, all out of greed. "If You remove his wealth, then You will find that his tongue will no longer mention Your name and his praying will stop," he said to Allaah.
Allaah told Iblees that Ayyoob, may Allaah exalt his mention, was one of His most sincere devotees. He did not worship Him because of the favours; his worship stemmed from his heart and had nothing to do with material things. But to prove to Iblees the depth of Ayyoob's sincerity and patience, Allaah allowed him to do whatever he and his helpers wished with Ayyoob's wealth.
Iblees was ecstatic. He gathered his helpers and set about destroying Ayyoob's cattle, servants and farms until he was left with no possessions. Rubbing his hands in glee, Iblees appeared before Ayyoob, may Allaah exalt his mention, in the guise of a wise old man and said to him: "All your wealth is lost; some people say that it is because you gave too much in charity and that you are wasting your time with your continuous prayers to Allaah. Others say that Allaah has brought this upon you in order to please your enemies. If Allaah had the capacity to prevent harm, then He would have protected your wealth."
True to his belief, Ayyoob, may Allaah exalt his mention, replied: "What Allaah has taken away from me belongs to Him. I was only its trustee for a while. He gives to whom He wills and withholds from whom He wills." With these words, Ayyoob, may Allaah exalt his mention, again prostrated to his Lord.
When Iblees saw this, he felt frustrated, so he again addressed Allaah: "I have stripped Ayyoob of all his possessions, but he still remains grateful to You. However he is only hiding his disappointment, for he places great store by his many children. The real test of a parent is through his children. You will see how Ayyoob will reject You."
Allaah again granted Iblees authority, but warned him that it would not reduce Ayyoob's faith in His Lord nor his patience.
Iblees again gathered his helpers and set about his evil deeds. He shook the fountain of the house in which Ayyoob's children were living and sent the building crashing, killing all of them. Then he went to Ayyoob, may Allaah exalt his mention, disguised as a man who had come to sympathise with him. In a comforting tone he said to Ayyoob, may Allaah exalt his mention: "The circumstances under which your children died were sad. Surely, your Lord is not rewarding you properly for all your prayers." Having said this, Iblees waited anxiously, hoping Ayyoob, may Allaah exalt his mention, was now ready to reject Allaah.
But again Ayyoob, may Allaah exalt his mention, disappointed him by replying: "Allaah sometimes gives and sometimes takes. He is sometimes pleased and sometimes displeased with our deeds. Whether a thing is beneficial or harmful to me, I will remain firm in my belief and remain thankful to my Creator." Then Ayyoob, may Allaah exalt his mention, prostrated to his Lord. At this, Iblees was extremely vexed.

20Prophets and their story Empty Re: Prophets and their story Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:50 pm

dangata

dangata

Ayyoob is tested through his health

After failing to make Ayyoob, may Allaah exalt his mention, give up his worship of Allaah after destroying his wealth and children, Iblees (Satan), may Allaah curse him, called on Allaah: "O my Lord! Ayyoob's wealth is gone, his children are dead, but he is still healthy in body, and as long as he enjoys good health he will continue to worship You in the hope of regaining his wealth and producing more children. Grant me authority over his body so that I may weaken it. He will surely neglect worshipping You and will thus become disobedient."
Allaah wanted to teach Iblees a lesson that Ayyoob, may Allaah exalt his mention, was a devoted servant of his Lord, so He granted Iblees his third request but placed a condition: "I give you authority over his body but not over his soul, intellect or heart, for in these places resides the knowledge of Me and My religion."
Armed with this new authority, Iblees began to take revenge on Ayyoob's body, and filled it with disease until it was reduced to mere skin and bone and he suffered severe pain. But through all the suffering, Ayyoob, may Allaah exalt his mention, remained strong in his faith, patiently bearing all the hardships without complaining.
Allaah's righteous servant did not despair or turn to others for help but remained hopeful of Allaah's mercy. Even close relatives and friends deserted him. Only his kind, loving wife stayed with him. In his hour of need, she showered her kindness on him and cared for him. She remained his sole companion and comforter through the many years of suffering.
The life-summary of Ayyoob
Imaam Ibn 'Asaakir, may Allaah have mercy upon him, narrated: "Ayyoob, may Allaah exalt his mention, was a man having much wealth of all kinds; beasts, slaves, sheep, vast lands, and many children. All those favours were withdrawn from him and he was physically afflicted as well. Never a single organ of his was sound, except his heart and tongue, with both of which he glorified Allaah, the Almighty, constantly, day and night. His disease lasted for a long time until his visitors felt disgusted with him. His friends kept away from him and people abstained from visiting him. No one felt sympathy for him except his wife. She took good care of him, knowing his former charity and pity for her."
Therefore, Iblees became desperate. He consulted his helpers, but they could not advise him. They asked: "How is it that your cleverness cannot work against Ayyoob, yet you succeeded in misleading Aadam, the father of man, out of Paradise?"
Iblees went to Ayyoob's wife in the form of a man. "Where is your husband?" he asked her. She pointed to an almost lifeless form crumbled on the bed and said: "There he is, suspended between life and death." Iblees reminded her of the days when Ayyoob, may Allaah exalt his mention, had good health, wealth and children. Suddenly, the painful memories of years of hardship overcame her, and she burst into tears. She said to Ayyoob, may Allaah exalt his mention: "How long are you going to bear this torture from our Lord? Are we to remain without wealth, children or friends forever? Why don't you call upon Allaah to remove this suffering?"
Ayyoob, may Allaah exalt his mention, sighed, and in a soft voice replied: "Iblees must have whispered to you and made you dissatisfied. Tell me, how long did I enjoy good health and riches?" She replied: "Eighty years." Then Ayyoob, may Allaah exalt his mention, asked: "How long have I been suffering like this?" She replied: "Seven years." Ayyoob, may Allaah exalt his mention, then told her: "In that case I am ashamed to call on my Lord to remove the hardship, for I have not suffered longer than the years of my good health and plenty. It seems your faith has weakened and you are dissatisfied with the fate of Allaah. If I ever regain health, I swear I will punish you with a hundred strokes! From this day onward, I forbid myself to eat or drink anything by your hand. Leave me alone and let my Lord do with me as He pleases."
Crying bitterly and with a heavy heart, she had no choice but to leave him and seek shelter elsewhere. In this helpless state, Ayyoob, may Allaah exalt his mention, turned to Allaah, not to complain, but to seek His mercy, saying (what means): "…'Indeed, adversity has touched me, and You are the most merciful of the merciful.' So We responded to him and removed what afflicted him of adversity. And We gave him [back] his family and the like thereof with them as a mercy from Us and a reminder for the worshippers [of Allaah]." [Quran 21:83-84]
Almighty Allaah records Prophet Ayyoob's invocation in the verses (which mean): "And remember Our servant Ayyoob, when he called to his Lord: 'Indeed, Satan has touched me with hardship and torment.' [So he was told]: 'Strike [the ground] with your foot; this is a [spring for] a cool bath and drink.' And We granted him his family and a like [number] with them as mercy from Us and a reminder for those of understanding." [Quran 38:41-43]
Ayyoob, may Allaah exalt his mention, obeyed this instruction, and almost immediately his good health was restored. Meanwhile, his faithful wife could no longer bear to be parted from her husband and returned to him to beg his forgiveness, desiring to serve him. On entering her house, she was amazed at the sudden change: Ayyoob, may Allaah exalt his mention, was again healthy! She embraced him and thanked Allaah for His mercy.
Ayyoob, may Allaah exalt his mention, was worried, for he had taken an oath to punish her with a hundred strokes if he had regained health but he had no desire to hurt her. He knew if he did not fulfil the oath, he would be guilty of breaking a promise to Allaah. Therefore, out of His wisdom and mercy, Allaah came to the assistance of His faithful servant and advised him with (what means): "…'Take in your hand a bunch [of grass] and strike with it and do not break your oath.' Indeed, We found him patient, an excellent servant. Indeed, he was one who repeatedly turned back [to Allaah]." [Quran 38:44]
Abu Hurayrah, may Allaah be pleased with him, narrated that the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam (may Allaah exalt his mention) said: "While Ayyoob was naked, taking a bath, a swarm of gold locusts fell on him, and so he started collecting them in his garment. His Lord called him: "O Ayyoob! Have I not made you too rich to need what you see?" He said: "Yes, My Lord! But I cannot shun Your Blessings." [Al-Bukhaari]

Source: Sheikh Muhammad Gemeiah's translation of 'Stories of the Prophets', by Imaam Ibn Katheer

www.islamweb.net

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum