Pure Motivation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pure Motivation

To Motivate

Our Brothers and Sisters Only Groups have now been made private. If you wish to join you must click on the usergroup link and apply.
Top posters
zaharah (1191)
Wives of the Prophet (saw) Vote_lcapWives of the Prophet (saw) Voting_barWives of the Prophet (saw) Vote_rcap 
dangata (623)
Wives of the Prophet (saw) Vote_lcapWives of the Prophet (saw) Voting_barWives of the Prophet (saw) Vote_rcap 
sister harb (539)
nazleen (506)
Aisha (368)
EbonyRose (352)
Full of hopes (172)
Mila (144)
Tabu (108)
Abu Zainab (104)

Latest topics
» Pardon and Forgive.
Wives of the Prophet (saw) EmptySun Nov 11, 2018 6:09 pm by Abu Zainab

» The Similitude Of Good Actions.
Wives of the Prophet (saw) EmptySat Aug 04, 2018 4:17 am by Abu Zainab

» Tafsir al-Jalalayn.
Wives of the Prophet (saw) EmptyWed Jul 04, 2018 7:50 am by Abu Zainab

» And To Allah We Shall Return.
Wives of the Prophet (saw) EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 7:23 pm by Abu Zainab

» Thought Of Ayat 43, Surat Furqan?
Wives of the Prophet (saw) EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 7:13 pm by Abu Zainab

» Worldly Life: So Insignificant!!
Wives of the Prophet (saw) EmptyTue May 15, 2018 4:57 am by Abu Zainab

» Ayat 55 of Surat Ta-Ha and Our Creation.
Wives of the Prophet (saw) EmptyTue May 15, 2018 4:43 am by Abu Zainab

» The Ruh and Allah's Secret Ocean.
Wives of the Prophet (saw) EmptySun Feb 25, 2018 7:04 am by Abu Zainab

» Amazing Quotes.
Wives of the Prophet (saw) EmptySat Feb 10, 2018 4:10 am by Abu Zainab

» High Status Of Rasool Allah- Sallallahu alaihi Wasallam.
Wives of the Prophet (saw) EmptySun Jan 28, 2018 6:19 pm by Abu Zainab

» Be On Your Guard...
Wives of the Prophet (saw) EmptyMon Jan 15, 2018 7:37 pm by Abu Zainab

» The Sadaqa (Charity) We Give Daily.
Wives of the Prophet (saw) EmptyTue Jan 09, 2018 1:05 pm by Abu Zainab

» Shortcuts To Paradise/Jannah.
Wives of the Prophet (saw) EmptyMon Jan 08, 2018 8:29 am by Abu Zainab

» Welcome to the Daily Grind where you can unwind
Wives of the Prophet (saw) EmptyMon Dec 25, 2017 12:00 pm by sister harb

» Consider Ayat 46 of Surat Kahfi.
Wives of the Prophet (saw) EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 7:42 pm by Abu Zainab

» Tawheed In Summary.
Wives of the Prophet (saw) EmptyMon Jun 26, 2017 2:14 pm by Abu Zainab

» Inspiration For Excellent Action.
Wives of the Prophet (saw) EmptyMon Jun 26, 2017 1:52 pm by Abu Zainab

» Remembering Death.
Wives of the Prophet (saw) EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 7:37 am by Abu Zainab

»  Just A Minute !!
Wives of the Prophet (saw) EmptyThu Oct 06, 2016 7:43 pm by Abu Zainab

» His Heart Never Sleeps.
Wives of the Prophet (saw) EmptySun Sep 04, 2016 6:10 pm by Abu Zainab

» Of Scrupulousness and Little Laughter.
Wives of the Prophet (saw) EmptyFri Aug 26, 2016 6:55 pm by Abu Zainab

» Do You Know The Qur'an?
Wives of the Prophet (saw) EmptyFri Aug 12, 2016 6:10 pm by Abu Zainab

» Signs Of The Sweetness Of Imaan.
Wives of the Prophet (saw) EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 6:03 pm by Abu Zainab

» Seeking The Beloved.
Wives of the Prophet (saw) EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 5:48 pm by Abu Zainab

» Mind That Food and Drink.
Wives of the Prophet (saw) EmptySun Jun 05, 2016 5:18 pm by Abu Zainab

» ALLAH: The Supreme Name.
Wives of the Prophet (saw) EmptySun Jun 05, 2016 5:02 pm by Abu Zainab

» Tawbah is Obligatory.
Wives of the Prophet (saw) EmptyThu May 12, 2016 11:42 am by Abu Zainab

» Cookie Pizza
Wives of the Prophet (saw) EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 10:07 am by sister harb

» Prophethood As A Circle.
Wives of the Prophet (saw) EmptyMon Mar 21, 2016 11:05 am by Abu Zainab

» Benefit of Turmeric
Wives of the Prophet (saw) EmptyTue Mar 08, 2016 7:22 pm by zaharah

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wives of the Prophet (saw)

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Wives of the Prophet (saw) Empty Wives of the Prophet (saw) Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:09 pm

dangata

dangata

Hafsah Bint ‘Umar was born five years before the Messenger of Allaah, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, became a Prophet. She was six years older than her brother 'Abdullaah . She was a beautiful and pious woman.

Her first marriage was to Khunays Ibn Huthaafah Ibn Qays as-Sahami who was from Quraysh. He took part in the two emigrations (to Abyssinia and Al-Madeenah). He fought in the battles of Badr and Uhud. In the latter battle he was fatally wounded and died sholtry thereafter in Al-Madeenah. Hafsah was 18 years old at that time.

‘Umar was depressed because of his daughter's affliction, since she had become a widow at such a young age. Whenever he went home and saw his sad daughter, he grieved. After thinking for a long period, he decided to choose a husband for her, to provide her with what she had lost of repose for six months or more.

‘Umar approached Abu Bakr the dearest person to the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, and offered her hand in marriage to him.

‘Umar thought that Abu Bakr would not refuse to marry a young, pious woman who was the daughter of the man by whom Allaah supported Islam. Having sympathetically listened to him, Abu Bakr did not respond.

‘Umar went back with a broken heart and almost did not believe what had happened. He then went to 'Uthmaan Ibn 'Affaan whose wife, Ruqayyah the daughter of the Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, had recently died.
‘Umar offered him his daughter in marriage, but 'Uthmaan apologized by saying: "I think I would not like to marry at the present time."

‘Umar's gloom increased by 'Uthmaan's refusal. He became upset and angry with his two companions, mentioning it to the Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, complaining about Abu Bakr and ‘Uthmaan .

Thereupon the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, smiled and said: "Hafsah will get a husband who is better than 'Uthmaan and 'Uthmaan will get a wife better than Hafsah." [Al-Bukhaari]

After that, the Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, himself married Hafsah and 'Uthmaan in turn married Umm Kulthoom, the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam's other daughter .

Accordingly, ‘Umar was elated to receive such a great honor which he had never imagined possible, earlier. He went off to tell the good news to whomever he met.

When Abu Bakr met him, he realized the source of his joy. ‘Umar told him of his unhappiness at Abu Bakr's refusal to reply when he had offered Hafsah's hand to him.
Abu Bakr congratulated him and apologized by saying: "Do not be angry with me, ‘Umar, the Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, mentioned Hafsah before, and I could not disclose the secret of the Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam. Had he left her, I would have married her."

Since the Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, had mentioned Hafsah to him, he did not want to disclose the Prophet’s, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam's secret.

The people of Al-Madeenah were pleased with the Prophet’s, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, marriage to Hafsah Bint ‘Umar . It was contracted in the month of Sha'baan in the 3rd year of Hijrah.

Thus, Hafsah joined the rank of the pure wives of the Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, the Mothers of the Believers, who were by then, Sawdah and 'Aa’ishah ; and became a member of the household of the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam.

Sawdah was happy to see her but 'Aa’ishah, may Allaah be please with her, was upset because Hafsah was within her age group and she feared that Hafsah would share the love of the Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam.

‘Umar knew very well that the Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, loved 'Aa’ishah more than any of the other wives and at times tried to make his daughter aware of this fact. He once said to her: "You are not like 'Aa’ishah and your father is not like her father."

When the Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, deserted his wives because they became too demanding, ‘Umar once again advised Hafsah to be careful saying: "You should not be deceived by the one who has been motivated by her beauty and the love of the Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, for her (referring to 'Aa’ishah)."

When the Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, married his other wives ‘Aa’ishah began to realize that her protestations were in vain and she made a friend of Hafsah .

Among the other wives of the Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, 'Aa’ishah was the most intimate and the closest one to Hafsah . It was Hafsah and 'Aa’ishah who supported each other against the Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, in a domestic intrigue which is mentioned in the Quran.

It is also mentioned in a tradition reported in the book of Imaam Al-Bukhaari :

'Aa’ishah narrated: “Allaah's Messenger, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, used to drink honey in the house of Zaynab Bint Jahsh and would stay there with her. So Hafsah and I agreed secretly that if he comes to either of us she would say to him: 'It seems you have eaten Maghaafir (a kind of flower whose nectar is sucked by the honey bee, and has slightly bad smell) for I smell in you the smell of Maghaafir,' (we did so) and he replied: 'No, but I was drinking honey in the house of Zaynab, the daughter of Jahsh, and I shall never take it again. I have taken an oath as to that, and you should not tell anybody about it.’” [Al-Bukhaari]

The idea was to suggest to him that this bad smell came from his mouth because of his taking that particular honey.

The Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, has always disliked strong smells especially on his breath. He then forbade honey unto himself for which Allaah revealed (what means):

"O Prophet, why do you prohibit (yourself from) what Allaah has made lawful for you, seeking the approval of your wives? And Allaah is Forgiving and Merciful. Allaah has already ordained for you (Muslims) the dissolution of your oaths. And Allaah is your Protector, and He is The Knowing, The Wise." [Quran 66: 1-2]

www.islamweb.com

Last edited by dangata on Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Wives of the Prophet (saw) Empty Re: Wives of the Prophet (saw) Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:09 pm

dangata

dangata

We learn from the book of Imaam Al-Bukhaari that Hafsah was a bit short-tempered and sometimes would even answer the Prophet , back. One day, her father, ‘Umar bin al-Khattaab who had come to know this, went to her and asked: "I have heard that you talk to the Noble Prophet , as if you were on an equal footing with him. Is it true?" Hafsah replied: "Of course! I do".

’Umar said: "My daughter, I warn you of Allaah's punishment. Do not compete with ‘Aa'ishah, who is proud of her beauty due to the Prophet’s , love for her."

Hafsah would never hesitate in asking the Noble Prophet , questions on any topic or problem. Once the Prophet , said: “The companions of Badr and Hudaibiyyah will not enter Hell.”

Hafsah quickly said: "O Prophet ! Allaah Says that everyone of you will pass over Hell."

The Prophet , answered her: “Yes! But Allaah also says in Soorah Maryam (what means): "Then We will save those who feared Allaah and leave the wrongdoers within it, on their knees.” [Quran 19:72]

The Prophet , divorced Hafsah once when she sided against him and disclosed his secret (mentioned before, in the story regarding ‘Aa’ishah and the Prophet ’s oath not to drink honey). But Jibreel came to him, and told him to take her back and said: “Take Hafsah back because she is keeping fasts and is observing prayer in the last parts of the night, and she is going to be your wife in Paradise.”

Allaah Says (what means): “And (remember) when the Prophet confided to one of his wives a statement; and when she informed (another) of it and Allaah showed it to him, he made known part of it and ignored a part. And when he informed her about it, she said: ‘Who told you this?’ He said: ‘I was informed by the All-Knowing, the Acquainted.’ If you two (wives) repent to Allaah, (it is best), for your hearts have deviated. But if you cooperate against him – then indeed Allaah is his Protector, and Gabriel and the righteous of the believers and the angels, moreover, are (his) assistants.” [Quran 66: 3-4]

Ibn 'Abbaas narrated: “For the whole year I had the desire to ask ‘Umar bin al-Khattaab regarding the explanation of a verse (in Soorah At-Tahreem), but I could not ask him because I respected him very much. When he went to perform Hajj, I too went along with him. On our return while we were still on the way home ‘Umar went aside to answer the call of nature by the Arak trees. I waited until he had finished then I proceeded with him and asked him: ‘O Chief of the Believers, who were the two wives of the Prophet , who aided one another against him?’ He said: ‘They were Hafsah and ‘Aa'ishah.' Then I said to him: 'By Allaah. I wanted to ask you about this a year ago, but I could not do so owing to my respect for you.' 'Umar said: 'Do not refrain from asking me. If you think that I have knowledge (about a certain matter), ask me; and if I know (something about it), I will tell you.'

Hafsah realized the gravity of what she had done to her noble husband when she disclosed his secret. However, after the Prophet , forgave her, she lived in tranquility and repose again.

Hafsah seemed to be very attached and close to her father, who used to consult her in matters relating to women. Once he noticed a woman reciting poetry about her husband who was away on Jihaad. 'Umar was disturbed, and asked Hafsah how long a woman may remain without her husband. She said six months, upon which 'Umar issued a decree to all of his commanders to relieve every warrior after every six months.

When the Prophet , died and Abu Bakr succeeded him, it was Hafsah who was chosen to keep the first copy of the Noble Quran.

She continued worshipping Allaah devoutly, fasting, praying, and keeping the copy of the Muslims’ constitution, the immortal miracle and the source of legislation and belief: the Quran.

When the second compilation of the Quran was made during the caliphate of 'Uthmaan she was asked to bring that copy, which she did, after putting the condition that when the work was completed, her copy would be returned to her.

After the standard copy was made, 'Uthmaan had decided that all the different versions of the Quran should be destroyed, but he was unable to do it with Hafsah's copy because of the condition she had attached. It was only after her death that the copy was discovered and destroyed.

Hafsah occupies a high position as far as scholarship and piety are concerned. She reported 60 Ahaadeeth from the Prophet . Out of these, four are agreed upon, six are in the book of Imaam Muslim and the remaining are in the other books of traditions.

When her father, the Caliph of the Muslims, felt he was about to die after being stabbed by Abu Lu'lu'ah the Zoroastrian in the month of Thul-Hijjah 23 AH, Hafsah was the guardian of what he left of inheritance.

Hafsah took custody of all his important documents including his copy of the Glorious Quran, which was compiled during the time of Abu Bakr's Caliphate.

Before her death, she made a will to ‘Abdullaah bin 'Umar that her property at Gahba should be donated in charity. Hafsah had no children from the Prophet .

Hafsah, may Allaah be pleased her, lived with the Prophet , in Al-Madeenah for eight years, and lived on for another thirty-four years after his death; witnessing with joy the victories and expansion of Islam under her father's guidance, and with sorrow the troubles that beset the Muslim community after the murder of 'Uthmaan . She passed away during the reign of Mu'aawiyyah bin Abu Sufyaan in 47 AH at the age of sixty-three.

www.islamweb.com

3Wives of the Prophet (saw) Empty Re: Wives of the Prophet (saw) Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:11 pm

dangata

dangata

Her real name was Hind; while her title was Umm Salamah . She came from the family of Makhzoom, which belongs to the Quraysh tribe. Her father’s name was Abu Mugheerah Ibn 'Abdullaah Ibn 'Umar Ibn Makhzoom and her mother was 'Aatikah Bint 'Aamir who belonged to the family of Faraas.

Umm Salamah was first married to her cousin Abu Salamah Ibn 'Abdul-Asad. He was a young man with exceptionally good nature and unblemished conduct. It was improbable for this young man of exceptionally lofty morals to remain unmoved by the noble and life-giving message of the Noble Prophet, Muhammad sallalaahu alayhi wa sallam.

Defying his tribesmen, Abu Salamah embraced the new faith and entered the fold of Islam. Umm Salamah followed suit.

Thus, the couple joined the rank of those noble souls, who had won the unique distinction of embracing the new faith in its early phase.

These noble souls suffered all kinds of hardships and harassment in the cause of Islam, but they did not budge even an inch from the right path. As the number of the people who had embraced the new life-giving faith increased, the persecution and torture meted out to them also increased in intensity.

When this persecution reached intolerable levels, the Noble Prophet sallalaahu alayhi wa sallam gave permission to his followers to migrate to Abyssinia, which was ruled at that time by a kind-hearted king, in order to protect their lives and preserve their religion. According to an authentic narration, Abu Salamah and Umm Salamah who has already entered the fold of Islam, also migrated to Abyssinia. They came back to Makkah after spending some time in exile. From Makkah, they left for Madeenah on their second migration. Those days, Abu Salamah had only one camel with him. He they seated Umm Salamah and his young son, Salamah, at the saddle. Holding the reins of his camel, he started his long journey on foot.

When her family came to know about the couple’s planned destination, they intercepted the camel and told Abu Salamah that he could proceed, but they would not allow their daughter (Umm Salamah ). They took away the reins of the camel from Abu Salamah and forced Umm Salamah to dismount. In the meantime, Banu 'Abdul-Asad, the members of Abu Salamah’s clan, appeared on the scene and snatched Umm Salamah’s child from his mother and threatened Banu Mugheerah that if they did not allow their daughter to accompany her husband, they would also not allow the child to accompany his mother. As for Abu Salamah they said that he was free to go anywhere liked.

By this time, the Noble Prophet, sallalaahu alayhi wa sallam, had given permission to his Companions to migrate to Madeenah, where they could live in peace and safety from the torture of Quraysh. Abu Salamah left for Madeenah, leaving his wife and child behind. Umm Salamah was staying with Banu Mugheerah while her child was in the custody of Banu 'Abdul-Asad. Thus, the three of them – the father, the mother and the child – were undergoing the pain of living separately.

Umm Salamah was grief-stricken due the separation from her child and husband. Everyday she would go and sit forlorn on a hillock, crying and longing to join her husband and son. A whole one year passed like this.

One day, a kind-hearted and influential man from the clan of Banu Mugheerah saw her pathetic condition and was moved by her agony. He called out the people of his tribe and said: “This woman is our own flesh and blood, how long will we keep her away from her husband and child? By Allaah! Our tribe is very brave and honorable; we can’t tolerate persecution of innocent people.”

Hearing this, her tribesmen gave permission to Umm Salamah they to join her husband in Madeenah. When Banu 'Abdul-Asad heard of this, they also took pity and sent her child, Salamah, to her. She took the child and a camel to ride alone to Madeenah. At At-Tan'eem (in the outskirts of Makkah), she met 'Uthmaan Ibn Talhah Ibn Abu Talhah a chivalrous and decent man of Makkah. When he saw Umm Salamah traveling alone with a small baby, he thought: “How unbecoming of me, if I did not escort this lonely woman traveler of Quraysh to Madeenah!”

He took the reins of Umm Salamah’s camel and started for Madeenah. Whenever they stopped on the way, 'Uthmaan would withdraw to rest under the shade of a tree. When they reached Qubaa', where Abu Salamah was staying, 'Uthmaan returned to Makkah and Umm Salamah rejoined her husband, who thanked Allaah for once again reuniting his family.

Umm Salmah always remained grateful to 'Uthmaan for his thoughtful and kind gesture. She used to say: “I have never seen a more gallant and compassionate man than 'Uthmaan Ibn Talhah.”

Umm Salamah- II

Excerpted with modification from: The Honorable Wives of the Prophet- by: Darussalam

4Wives of the Prophet (saw) Empty Re: Wives of the Prophet (saw) Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:11 pm

dangata

dangata

Her widowhood and marriage to the Prophet

In the third year of Hijrah (Migration of the Prophet from Makkah to Madeenah), Abu Salamah fought in the Battle of Uhud. In that historic and crucial battle, his arm was wounded by a poisoned arrow shot by the enemy. He later recovered after treatment, but could survive only for a few months. His wound relapsed and ultimately he died.

Umm Salamah was immensely grief-stricken at the demise of her loving husband. When the Prophet, sallalaahu alayhi wa sallam, heard about this, he sallalaahu alayhi wa sallam went to offer condolences to her and asked her to have patience and bear the calamity with fortitude.

According to one narration, when the Prophet sallalaahu alayhi wa sallam paid a condolence visit to Umm Salamah after the death of her husband, he sallalaahu alayhi wa sallam asked her to pray Allaah to grant Abu Salamah the lofty rank of the righteous and grant her a better husband than him.

At this, Umm Salamah wondered who could be a better husband for her than Abu Salamah . Seeing the forlorn state of Umm Salamah after she was widowed, Abu Bakr sent her a proposal for marriage, which Umm Salamah declined.

The Prophet, sallalaahu alayhi wa sallam, was greatly impressed with the courage, which Umm Salamah displayed in facing the misfortunes and adversities of life. He sallalaahu alayhi wa sallam was also highly moved for her tragic situation and sent the proposal for marriage to her through 'Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab . Umm Salamah consented, and in Shawwal, the 4th year of Hijrah, her marriage to the Noble Prophet, sallalaahu alayhi wa sallam, took place.

A Historical example of her wisdom

In the 6th Hijrah year, the Prophet accompanied by his 1,400 companions decided to perform 'Umrah (minor Pilgrimage). When Quraysh learned about this, they decided to stop the Muslims from performing the pilgrimage; but when the Muslims decided to fight them they feared and signed a treaty with the Muslims, which consisted of several terms and conditions which appeared to be unfair for the Muslims as it prevented them from performing 'Umrah that year.

The Prophet accepted these conditions in adherence to the Divine Command instructing him to do so. Then the Prophet ordered the Muslims to slaughter animals in sacrifice (indicating the end of the 'Umrah rites). But the Muslims hesitated in offering the sacrifice, which grieved the Prophet .

Umm Salamah who was with the Prophet on this journey, heard this and suggested to the Prophet to offer the sacrifice, shave his head and take off the Ihraam. The Prophet did so acting on her advice. When the companions saw that the Prophet’s command was irrevocable, they at once sacrificed their animals and shaved their heads.

Her character:

Umm Salamah led a very simple and austere life. She was a devout worshiper. Every month, she fasted for three days (other than the fasting of Ramadhaan). Once, she wore a necklace, which had a little amount of gold in it. The Prophet did not like her wearing even this little amount of gold. So Umm Salamah immediately took it out.

Umm Salamah was very generous. She implored others also to give away in the cause of Allaah. Whatever she had, she would readily give away to a beggar or a needy person.

Once, a few destitute people came to her begging for charity importunately. Umm Salamah ordered her maid not to send them back empty-handed, and if there was nothing in the houses, she should give them just a few dates.

Umm Salamah has narrated 378 Hadeeths of the Prophet . In moral excellence and nobility of conduct, she ranks, among the Prophet’s wives, next only to 'Aa'ishah . She was an excellent reciter of the Quran, and her style was much similar to the Prophet’s. She was endowed with exceptionally beautiful countenance, deep knowledge, intelligence and sound judgment.

Her death:

After a life filled with faith and righteous deeds, the Mother of the Believers, Umm Salamah died in the year 61 A.H., aged 84 and the venerable Companion, Abu Hurayrah led the people in her funeral prayer, after which she was buried in Al-Baqee' Cemetery in Madeenah.

Umm Salamah- I

Excerpted with slight modification from: The Honorable Wives of the Prophet- by: Darussalam

5Wives of the Prophet (saw) Empty 'Aa'ishah: the mother of the believers Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:12 pm

dangata

dangata

When the Prophet , emigrated from Makkah to Al-Madeenah he was accompanied by Abu Bakr ('Aa'ishah's father) who had the most knowledge about the Quraysh -- both the good and bad aspects. He was a well-known honorable merchant to whom people came to seek and gain more knowledge.

'Aa'ishah's mother was called Umm Rummaan bint 'Umayr bin 'Amer coming from the sons of Al-Haarith bin Ghanam bin Ka'ab, and she was among the first group who embraced Islam. She had been married to 'Abdullaah bin 'Abdul-Asad before she married Abu Bakr, and she had a son from her first husband called At-Tufayl, and she gave birth to 'Aa'ishah and 'Abdur-Rahmaan from Abu Bakr . She emigrated to Al-Madeenah after the establishment of Islam there. When she died, Abu Bakr said: "O Allaah! You know best how Umm Rummaan was hurt for Your sake and the sake of Your Prophet ."

The Prophet , used to entrust 'Aa'ishah to Umm Rummaan's charge and say: “O Umm Rummaan, be kind to 'Aa'ishah and be mindful of me by this kindness.”

In fact, the Prophet , used to love the clean and pure household of Abu Bakr because the man of the house -- Abu Bakr -- was a man who needed no introduction; his character and lineage were not something to inquire about.

The Messenger of Allaah , thought about proposing to 'Aa'ishah for marriage when Khawlah bint Haakim Al-Aslamiah said to him: “What do you say about marrying 'Aa'ishah the daughter of Abu Bakr?”; he, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam then moved his head in the affirmative, saying yes. Then Khawlah went to Umm Rummaan to tell her the news and said: “O Umm Rummaan, you cannot imagine how Allaah has blessed your house!”

Khawlah said: “The Messenger of Allaah , sent me to seek 'Aa'ishah for marriage.” Umm Rummaan said: “Wait for Abu Bakr, he is coming soon.”

When Abu Bakr came back, Khawlah told him the news and he said: “Is she suitable for him? She is his niece.” Khawlah then went back to the Prophet , and told him what Abu Bakr had told her, and he , said: “Go back and tell Abu Bakr that he is my brother in Islam and I am his, and his daughter is good enough for me.”

Abu Bakr thought deeply about this and then went to Mut'am bin 'Uday, who had proposed 'Aa'ishah for marriage to his son Jubayr. These people were still disbelievers. When Abu Bakr entered their house, they said: “O son of Abu Quhaafah, we fear that if our son married your daughter 'Aa'ishah, then she would convince him of Islam and we do not want this to happen.”

Abu Bakr did not answer, but on the contrary he was very pleased with that. In this way he was freed of their promise and he could give his full agreement for the blessed marriage.

'Aa'ishah narrated how she became married to the Messenger of Allaah, sallallaahu '‘alayhi wa sallam, and said: “The Prophet , came to our house, and many people gathered there to meet him. Then my mother came to me while I was playing, she took me to the door where the Prophet , was sitting. I was so embarrassed and I melted in shyness. Then my mother put me beside the Prophet , and said: “This is your wife, may Allaah bless her for you, and bless you for her.” People then left the room, and at that night nothing was slaughtered for me and I was nine years old at that time.” Although she was young, she was a mature girl who had reached puberty. People described 'Aa'ishah on her wedding day and said: “She was a nimble, wide-eyed bride, with curly hair and a shiny face.”

Whereas Khadeejah was already a wise and mature woman when she married the Prophet Muhammad , 'Aa'ishah was a spirited young girl who still had a great deal to learn when she married the Prophet . However, she was very quick to learn, for she had a clear heart, a quick mind and an accurate memory. She was not afraid to talk back in order to find out the truth or make it known, and whenever she beat someone else in argument, the Prophet would smile and say: “She is the daughter of Abu Bakr!”

Moosaa bin Talhah once said: “I have not seen anyone more eloquent than 'Aa'ishah.” 'Aa'ishah became so wise that one of her contemporaries used to say that if the knowledge of 'Aa'ishah were placed on one side of the scales and that of all other women on the other, 'Aa'ishah's side would outweigh the others. She used to sit with the other women and pass on the knowledge that she had received from the Prophet . She was a source of knowledge and wisdom for both women and men long after the Prophet , died and as long as she lived. Abu Moosaa once said: “Whenever a report appeared doubtful to us (the Companions of the Prophet) and we asked 'Aa'ishah about it, we always learned something from her about it.”

In addition to being extremely intelligent, 'Aa'ishah became a very graceful young woman. When she first came to live in the Prophet's household as a young girl, a strong and lasting friendship grew up between her and Sawdah, and Sawdah took care of her along with the rest of the household. When 'Aa'ishah grew up, Sawdah, who was by then an old woman, gave up her share of the Prophet's time in favor of 'Aa'ishah and was content to manage his household and be Umm al Mu’mineen 'The Mother of the Believers' -- a title of respect that was given to all the wives of the Prophet , which confirmed what the Quran clearly states that no man could marry any of them after they had been married to the Prophet :

“The Prophet is more worthy of the believers than themselves, and his wives are (in the position of) their mothers.” [Quran 33:6]

During the nine years that 'Aa'ishah was married to Prophet Muhammad , she witnessed many of the great events that shaped the destiny of the first Muslim community of Al-Madeenah al Munawarra: It was during the course of their marriage that the direction of the Qiblah was changed from Jerusalem to Makkah, thereby distinguishing the Muslims more clearly from Jews and Christians. It was during the course of their marriage that she must have listened to many of the Jews, Christians and idol worshippers who came not to listen to the Prophet , but to argue with him, in the hope that they could find a plausible excuse to justify their rejection of him. It was through exchanges such as these that 'Aa'ishah learned to distinguish what was true from what was false.

As the prophetic guidance continued to be revealed through the Prophet Muhammad, sallallaahu '‘alayhi wa sallam, 'Aa'ishah's way of life, along with that of all the Muslims, was gradually reshaped and refined. It was during the course of their marriage that drinking alcohol was finally forbidden, it was made clear what food was allowed (Halaal) and what was prohibited (Haraam), it became necessary for women to wear the Hijaab in public and while praying, guidance regarding how to fast was revealed, paying the Zakaat became obligatory on all Muslims and all rites of Hajj were purified and clarified.

In fact, every aspect of life -- from birth to death and everything that happens in between -- was illuminated by the way in which the Prophet behaved. It was this way of behavior (the Sunnah), that 'Aa'ishah helped to preserve and protect, not only by embodying it herself, but also by teaching it to others.

The life of 'Aa’ishah is proof that a woman can be far more learned than men and that she can be the teacher of scholars and experts. Her life is also a proof that a woman can exert influence over men and women and provide them with inspiration and leadership . Her life is also proof that the same woman can retain her feminity and be a source of pleasure, joy and comfort to her husband.

'Aa’ishah spent her life with the Prophet , until he died in her lap, whereupon she said: “He , died between my chest and my neck, then I put his head on a pillow when people became very quiet while I was mourning and suffering deep sadness.”

Sources:

The Days of the Prophet with his Wives by Abdul Mun'im Al-Hashimi

The Sealed Nectar

6Wives of the Prophet (saw) Empty Juwayriyyah Bint Al-Haarith Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:12 pm

dangata

dangata

The fifth year of Hijrah (the Migration of Prophet Muhammad from Makkah to Al-Madeenah) was a year rich in major events. During its second half, the Muslims were busy fighting the Parties (coalition of the tribes that rallied against them in an attempt to impede the spread of Islam).

Muslims dug a trench around Al-Madeenah to defend it against the enemies outside. But a greater danger was facing them from inside, that of the Jewish tribes who breached the peace treaty. After defeating the Parties, the Prophet rallied the Muslims against the Jewish tribe of Banu An-Nadheer first. They blockaded their fortress for twenty-five days until they all surrendered. Then the Muslims set off towards the tribe of Banu Al-Mustaliq who were gathering forces to fight them.

The two armies met at a watering well called Al-Muraysee'. A fierce battle took place which ended by a heavy defeat of Banu Al-Mustaliq. Most of their fighters were killed and their women were taken captives. Their leader, Al-Haarith Ibn Dhiraar, escaped, but his daughter, Barrah, fell to the hands of the Muslims.

The Prophet distributed the captives among the Muslims. The daughter of Al-Haarith fell to the lot of Thaabit Ibn Qays . 'Aa'ishah who accompanied the Prophet on this expedition, related: "When the Prophet distributed the captives of Banu Al-Mustaliq, she (Barrah) fell to the lot of Thaabit Ibn Qays (). She was married to her cousin, who was killed during the battle. She gave Thaabit a deed (document), agreeing to pay him for her freedom. She was a very beautiful woman. She captivated every man who saw her. She came to the Prophet to ask for his help in the matter. As soon as I saw her at the door of my room, I took a dislike to her, for I knew that he would see her as I saw her. She went in and told him who she was, the daughter of Al-Haarith Ibn Dhiraar, the chief of his people. She said: 'You can see the state to which I have been brought. I have fallen to the lot of Thaabit, and have given him a deed for my ransom, and I have come to ask your help in the matter.' He said: 'Would you like something better than that? I will discharge your debt, and marry you.' She said: 'Yes, O Messenger of Allaah!' 'Then it is done.' He replied." [Ahmad]

This was the event that turned Barrah's (later named Juwayriyyah by the Prophet ) life around. For not only did she accept Islam, thus saving herself from Hellfire, but by accepting the Prophet for her husband and thus became Umm Al-Mu'mineen (Mother of the Believers).

The news that the Prophet had married Juwayriyyah spread out, and now that Banu Al-Mustaliq were the Prophet's relatives by marriage, the Muslims found it hard to keep them as their captives. "The relatives of the Messenger of Allaah!" They exclaimed. They set them free. A hundred families were released from captivity because of this blessed marriage. "I do not know a woman who was a greater blessing to her people than she." Said 'Aa'ishah .

Juwayriyyah was a woman of exceptional beauty, and because she belonged to the highest class of her society, she acquired the best upbringing and education that was available during her time. She was twenty years old when the Prophet married her. No doubt, she was the source of jealousy for his other wives but this did not prevent them from appreciating her good character and companionship.

When the Prophet went back to Al-Madeenah after that raid (on Banu Al-Mustaliq), with Juwayriyyah and was at a place called 'Thaatul-Jaysh', he entrusted her to one of the Ansaar (supporters of the Prophet from Al-Madeenah). Her father, Al-Haarith, discovered that she had been captive and went back to Al-Madeenah, bringing his daughter's ransom. When he reached Al-'Aqeeq (a place near Al-Madeenah), he looked at the camels he had brought as her ransom and admired two of them greatly, so he hid them in one of the passes of Al-'Aqeeq. Then he came to the Prophet dragging the camels behind him, and told him: "My daughter is too noble to be taken as a captive. Set her free by this ransom." The Prophet replied: "Isn't it better that we let her choose for herself?" "That is fair enough," said Al-Haarith. He came to his daughter and said: "This man is letting you choose so do not dishonor us!" "I choose the Messenger of Allaah," she replied calmly. "What a disgrace!" he exclaimed.

The Prophet then said: "Where are the two camels which you have hidden in Al-'Aqeeq in such-and such a pass?" Al-Haarith exclaimed: "I bear witness that there is none worthy of worship but Allaah, and that you Muhammad are the Messenger of Allaah! For none could have known of this but Allaah." He and his two sons who were with him and some of his men accepted Islam. The Prophet asked him again for his daughter's hand and he accepted. The Prophet gave his new bride four hundred Dirhams as her dowry.

Juwayriyyah accepted Islam wholeheartedly and followed the excellent example of her husband in the worship of her Lord, trying to even compete with him at times. He left her room once for Fajr (dawn prayer) and came back after Dhuha (forenoon): "I spent all the time you were absent supplicating," she told him . He said: "Shall I tell you a few words, if you say them they will be heavier in the scale (on the Day of Judgment) than what you have done? You say; 'Subhaana Allaahi 'adada khalqih, subhaana Allaahi ridha nafsihi, subhana Allaahi zinata 'arshihi, subhaana Allaahi midaada kalimaatih." (Exalted (and Praised) is Allaah as many times as the number of His creatures, and as much as pleases Him, and as much as the weight of His Throne, and as much as the ink for His Words). [At-Tirmithi]

Juwayriyyah spent her life in seclusion after the Prophet passed away. The Caliphs would provide for her sustenance, but she would spend it all for the sake of Allaah. She performed Hajj many times, and was known for her passionate worship.

She kept away from all the trials that raged later during her life. She died during the caliphate of Mu'aawiyah at the age of sixty five.

Source: Aljumuah, vol. 13

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum