Pure Motivation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pure Motivation

To Motivate

Our Brothers and Sisters Only Groups have now been made private. If you wish to join you must click on the usergroup link and apply.
Top posters
zaharah (1191)
The Benefits of Volunteering Vote_lcapThe Benefits of Volunteering Voting_barThe Benefits of Volunteering Vote_rcap 
dangata (623)
The Benefits of Volunteering Vote_lcapThe Benefits of Volunteering Voting_barThe Benefits of Volunteering Vote_rcap 
sister harb (539)
nazleen (506)
Aisha (368)
EbonyRose (352)
Full of hopes (172)
Mila (144)
Tabu (108)
Abu Zainab (104)

Latest topics
» Pardon and Forgive.
The Benefits of Volunteering EmptySun Nov 11, 2018 6:09 pm by Abu Zainab

» The Similitude Of Good Actions.
The Benefits of Volunteering EmptySat Aug 04, 2018 4:17 am by Abu Zainab

» Tafsir al-Jalalayn.
The Benefits of Volunteering EmptyWed Jul 04, 2018 7:50 am by Abu Zainab

» And To Allah We Shall Return.
The Benefits of Volunteering EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 7:23 pm by Abu Zainab

» Thought Of Ayat 43, Surat Furqan?
The Benefits of Volunteering EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 7:13 pm by Abu Zainab

» Worldly Life: So Insignificant!!
The Benefits of Volunteering EmptyTue May 15, 2018 4:57 am by Abu Zainab

» Ayat 55 of Surat Ta-Ha and Our Creation.
The Benefits of Volunteering EmptyTue May 15, 2018 4:43 am by Abu Zainab

» The Ruh and Allah's Secret Ocean.
The Benefits of Volunteering EmptySun Feb 25, 2018 7:04 am by Abu Zainab

» Amazing Quotes.
The Benefits of Volunteering EmptySat Feb 10, 2018 4:10 am by Abu Zainab

» High Status Of Rasool Allah- Sallallahu alaihi Wasallam.
The Benefits of Volunteering EmptySun Jan 28, 2018 6:19 pm by Abu Zainab

» Be On Your Guard...
The Benefits of Volunteering EmptyMon Jan 15, 2018 7:37 pm by Abu Zainab

» The Sadaqa (Charity) We Give Daily.
The Benefits of Volunteering EmptyTue Jan 09, 2018 1:05 pm by Abu Zainab

» Shortcuts To Paradise/Jannah.
The Benefits of Volunteering EmptyMon Jan 08, 2018 8:29 am by Abu Zainab

» Welcome to the Daily Grind where you can unwind
The Benefits of Volunteering EmptyMon Dec 25, 2017 12:00 pm by sister harb

» Consider Ayat 46 of Surat Kahfi.
The Benefits of Volunteering EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 7:42 pm by Abu Zainab

» Tawheed In Summary.
The Benefits of Volunteering EmptyMon Jun 26, 2017 2:14 pm by Abu Zainab

» Inspiration For Excellent Action.
The Benefits of Volunteering EmptyMon Jun 26, 2017 1:52 pm by Abu Zainab

» Remembering Death.
The Benefits of Volunteering EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 7:37 am by Abu Zainab

»  Just A Minute !!
The Benefits of Volunteering EmptyThu Oct 06, 2016 7:43 pm by Abu Zainab

» His Heart Never Sleeps.
The Benefits of Volunteering EmptySun Sep 04, 2016 6:10 pm by Abu Zainab

» Of Scrupulousness and Little Laughter.
The Benefits of Volunteering EmptyFri Aug 26, 2016 6:55 pm by Abu Zainab

» Do You Know The Qur'an?
The Benefits of Volunteering EmptyFri Aug 12, 2016 6:10 pm by Abu Zainab

» Signs Of The Sweetness Of Imaan.
The Benefits of Volunteering EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 6:03 pm by Abu Zainab

» Seeking The Beloved.
The Benefits of Volunteering EmptyFri Jul 01, 2016 5:48 pm by Abu Zainab

» Mind That Food and Drink.
The Benefits of Volunteering EmptySun Jun 05, 2016 5:18 pm by Abu Zainab

» ALLAH: The Supreme Name.
The Benefits of Volunteering EmptySun Jun 05, 2016 5:02 pm by Abu Zainab

» Tawbah is Obligatory.
The Benefits of Volunteering EmptyThu May 12, 2016 11:42 am by Abu Zainab

» Cookie Pizza
The Benefits of Volunteering EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 10:07 am by sister harb

» Prophethood As A Circle.
The Benefits of Volunteering EmptyMon Mar 21, 2016 11:05 am by Abu Zainab

» Benefit of Turmeric
The Benefits of Volunteering EmptyTue Mar 08, 2016 7:22 pm by zaharah

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Benefits of Volunteering

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Benefits of Volunteering Empty The Benefits of Volunteering Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:45 am

Samira

Samira

The Benefits of Volunteering

by Somayya Gefori

I recently started a volunteer job in my local hospital. I work for the WRVS (Women’s Royal Voluntary Service) who have two shops in the hospital, in which all the proceeds go into helping older people in the community. For this reason it doesn’t bother me that I am not being paid. I feel good for helping out. I work one three-hour shift every week. We are like a little corner shop, we sell hot and cold drinks, and snacks. I have heard about many people who don’t get on with their bosses, but I get on very well with my manager, Maureen. She is older than me, but I feel she is friendly and easy to talk to.
The WRVS was first set up in 1938 as the Women’s Voluntary Service. (The ‘Royal’ part was later added on by the current Queen Elizabeth). WRVS was initially formed to help civilians during the Second World War – in evacuation, emergency feeding and providing general care and support. Basically, while the men were away fighting, the women were doing their bit in helping with the war effort.

As you can imagine, it feels pretty good to be involved with a charity like this. WRVS is now 70-years old, and I feel I am now part of its history. I am also proud that I am able to work wearing my jilbab and hijab. My intention was not to work in a job in which I would made to remove any of my religious dress. I am free to wear them in my volunteering job, and for that I am glad. When non-Muslims see Muslims committed to their religion, we can only hope they respect us for that. It is also a good form of dawah. Some Muslims like to hide away, and never mention their religion. Non-Muslims are honest in what they do outside work and socially, so why not be equally honest and let them know how you live your life? You may find that they are very interested, as I have found on many occasions.

The hospital I work in is called the ‘James Cook University Hospital‘, in Middlesbrough. It is named after the explorer Captain James Cook, who was born and grew up in an area of Middlesbrough called Marton, which is where the hospital is situated. There is another reason I feel good about working here: last year I had my burst appendix removed in this very hospital. I feel as if I am giving something back, in a way.

Working in the shop at the hospital is not the only volunteering I’m up to this year. I will also be volunteering in the creche at the 2008 JIMAS Conference in Leicester. So why not take up volunteering in your community? It’s a feel good activity that helps others

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum